Who doesn’t want the best chocolate cupcake recipe?! Now, I have a delicious homemade from scratch chocolate cupcake recipe that is amazing and absolutely delicious, so what makes this chocolate cupcake recipe better? It takes less time to make and still taste like a million bucks!
When I have time, I make my from scratch cupcakes, but these days I don’t have a ton of time, so I give you easy chocolate cupcake recipe!
Yes I use a box cake mix, but no it doesn’t taste like it! Just give these easy chocolate cupcakes a chance!
How to make the best chocolate cupcakes?
- Combine the wet ingredients
- Add in the cake mix, espresso powder, and cocoa powder
- Bake in cupcake liners for 15 minutes at 325°F
- Let cool completely before frosting!
What to frost the best chocolate cupcakes with?
- Easy Vanilla Buttercream
- Marshmallow Frosting
- Easy Chocolate Frosting
- Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting
Chocolate cake is seriously one of my favorite cakes ever! I mean I love a good white cake or cupcake, but there is something about chocolate! These cupcakes are super easy to make and taste amazing! I love filling them with sprinkles or just topping them with some fun frosting and gobbling them up!
It is seriously so hard not to eat more than one in a sitting!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out some of my other cupcake recipes!
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes with a Whipped Cream Frosting
- Hidden Cache Cupcakes
- 4th of July Surprise Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting and Dipped in Chocolate
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- Lemon Cupcakes with a Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
If you want to make this recipe into a cake- do it! It will make three 6in rounds, two 8in rounds, or 1 9x13 pan. Just make sure to butter and flour the cake pans and adjust the baking times accordingly!
The Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix together, either by hand or in a stand mixer, the oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream and eggs. Then mix in the boxed cake mix, cocoa powder, and espresso powder if using.
- Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners, I like using a ¼ measuring cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Make sure to bake all the cakes on the same oven rack so they bake evenly.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.