This brownies from scratch recipe is a favorite of mine! These homemade brownies are super chocolaty, gooey and just perfect in every way!
Brownies made from scratch always seem so intimidating! Or at least they used too! These brownies come together in about 10 minutes and you don’t need a bunch of fancy items to make them.
How to make brownies from scratch:
- Preheat oven and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Melt the baking chocolate and butter together
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, and chocolate/butter mixture together, and espresso powder (if using)
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla
- Stir in the flour mixture
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir until well combined
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes- or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely
Why do I have to let the brownies cool completely?
These brownies are soft and deliciously gooey if I’m to be honest. I let them cool completely before cutting them so they can set up properly. If not they kind of come out of the pan in a sticky, crumbly, but delicious way and don’t give you the nice brownie square you might have been looking for. They are still delicious- but maybe not as pretty.
I also like baking these in a sheet pan, but if you are wanting the best thick brownie use a regular 9×13 baking dish.
What if I don’t have 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate? Can I use cocoa powder?
If you don’t have baking chocolate simply substitute 3 tbs cocoa powder and 1 tbs butter (or coconut oil) for every ounce of baking chocolate you need. So for this recipe you would need 12 tablespoons of cocoa powered ( 3/4 cup) and 3 tbs butter. I love using dark cocoa powder in this recipe too- try it and let me know what you think!
Can I make these without using dairy?
Yep! Just use coconut oil instead of butter and the cocoa powder/coconut oil substitute for baking chocolate in the question above!
This homemade brownie recipe is my favorite!
Give these brownies a try and let me know how you like them! Let me know in the comments below!
Brownies from scratch are better than ever!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out these other tasty desserts:
- Cocoa Puff Cereal Bars
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Orange Julius
- Easy Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- Double Fudge Mint Brownies from This Silly Girl’s Kitchen
Watch how to make this recipe!
Brownies from Scratch
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate* broken into pieces
- ¾ cups unsalted butter*
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- In a microwave safe dish combine the butter and chopped baking chocolate*. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until the butter and chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside. (3/4 cups unsalted butter, 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate)
- While butter mixture is cooling, in a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. (1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt)
- In a stand mixer mix together the butter mixture (it’s okay if it’s still warm) and the sugar. Stir in the espresso powder now if using. Add the eggs one at a time, letting each egg become fully incorporated into the batter before adding the next. Once the eggs are all added, mix in the vanilla. (2 cups sugar, 1 tsp espresso powder, 4 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla)
- By hand, with a large rubber spatula or mixing spoon, fold in the flour mixture. Folding in the flour will help the brownie batter keep the air in it.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. (1 cup chocolate chips)
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting (if you can!).