These is the best homemade brownies recipe. They are super chocolaty, gooey and just perfect in every way!
Brownies made from scratch used to seem so intimidating! These brownies come together in about 10 minutes and you don’t need a bunch of fancy items to make them.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Brownies from scratch are better than ever!
I once made these brownies and a some of the "fancy" box brownies to compare side by side. No surprise my brownies won with everyone who tried the two.
They have the flakey top, full of chocolate, tender, and absolutely delicious.
Ingredients needed for homemade brownies:
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar or Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Espresso Powder- adds a deeper chocolate flavor but if you don't have it you can make them without
- Chocolate Chips
How to make brownies from scratch:
- Preheat oven and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Melt the baking chocolate and butter together
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, and chocolate/butter mixture together, and espresso powder (if using)
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla
- Stir in the flour mixture
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir until well combined
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes- or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely
Why do I have to let the brownies cool completely?
I let them cool completely before cutting them so they can set up properly. If not they kind of come out of the pan in a sticky, crumbly, but delicious way and don’t give you the nice brownie square you might have been looking for.
They are still delicious- but maybe not as pretty.
I also like baking these in a sheet pan, but if you are wanting the best thick brownie use a regular 9x13 baking dish.
Don't miss this tip!
If you don't have 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate here is how to substitute with cocoa powder:
Substitute 3 tbs cocoa powder and 1 tbs butter (or coconut oil) for every ounce of baking chocolate you need. So for this recipe you would need 12 tablespoons of cocoa powder ( ¾ cup) and 3 tbs butter.
I love using dark cocoa powder in this recipe too- try it and let me know what you think!
Can I make homemade brownies dairy free?
Yep! Just use coconut oil instead of butter and the cocoa powder/coconut oil substitute for the baking chocolate.
This homemade brownie recipe is my favorite!
Give these brownies a try and let me know how you like them! Let me know in the comments below!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out these other tasty desserts:
- Cocoa Puff Cereal Bars
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- Double Fudge Mint Brownies from This Silly Girl's Kitchen
Watch how to make this recipe!
Best Homemade Brownies Recipe
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate* broken into pieces
- ¾ cups unsalted butter*
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- In a microwave safe dish combine the butter and chopped baking chocolate*. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until the butter and chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside. (¾ cups unsalted butter, 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate)
- While butter mixture is cooling, in a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. (1 cup flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp salt)
- In a stand mixer mix together the butter mixture (it’s okay if it’s still warm) and the sugar. Stir in the espresso powder now if using. (2 cups sugar, 1 tsp espresso powder)
- Add the eggs one at a time, letting each egg become fully incorporated into the batter before adding the next. Once the eggs are all added, mix in the vanilla. (4 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla)
- By hand, with a large rubber spatula or mixing spoon, fold in the flour mixture. Folding in the flour will help the brownie batter keep the air in it.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. (1 cup chocolate chips)
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting (if you can!).
- *If you don't have unsweetened baking chocolate you can substitute cocoa powder and extra butter instead. Substitute 3 tbs cocoa powder and 1 tbs butter (or coconut oil) for every ounce of baking chocolate you need. So for this recipe you would need 12 tablespoons of cocoa powder ( ¾ cup) and 3 tbs butter.
- *Want to make these dairy free- you can use coconut oil instead of butter!