Sweet Potato Cupcakes are easy to make, makes the perfect tender cupcake, and is full of fall flavors! These cupcakes will be your new favorite fall treat!
This post may contain Amazon or Thermoworks affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I've been tempted to call these sweet potato pie cupcakes because they are so good and remind me of my tasty pie recipe!
These cupcakes are a spin off of my pumpkin cupcakes and I really don't know which ones I prefer more!
I’ve made these sweet potato cupcakes on several occasions and they are always a hit!
Sweet Potato Cupcake Ingredients
- Sweet Potato Puree- canned or make your own!
- Baking soda
- Pie Spice
- Butter- I use unsalted.
- White Sugar
- Eggs plus an extra Yolk
- Vegetable Oil
How to make sweet potato cupcakes?
- Whisk buttermilk, sweet potato puree, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice in a different bowl.
- Whisk butter and sugar together, then mix in eggs and yolk one at a time.
- Mix in the oil, then fold in half the sweet potato mixture, half the flour mixture, and the repeat folding in the remaining mixtures.
- Bake, cool, frost and enjoy!
How to make these gluten free?
Ingredients for gluten free cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour/starch
- ½ cup white sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup sweet potato puree
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine well in a large mixing bowl: almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and sweet potato puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Use ice cream scoop to scoop even amounts of batter into lined cupcake pan.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite frosting (I recommend my Brown Sugar Buttercream!)
How to make sweet potato puree from scratch?
To make sweet potato puree preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and dry a medium sized sweet potato.
Using a fork poke holes in it then wrap in foil. Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until fully cooked and squishy.
Let the sweet potato cool and then peel it. Put it in a food processor and blend until smooth.
How to frost these cupcakes?
Start on the outer edge of the top of the cupcake and spiral in and around the cupcake.
With fall quickly approaching I just love making all these fun recipes! From my cream cheese pumpkin bread to my favorite pecan pie- I just can't get enough!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 batch Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, sweet potato puree, and vanilla½ cup buttermilk, 1 ½ cups sweet potato puree, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.1 ⅓ cups flour, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Using a stand mixer, mix sugar and butter until fluffy.½ cup unsalted butter, 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- Once butter and sugar are lighter in color and fully mixed, add each egg and the yolk, one at a time, into the butter mixture, letting each one fully mix into the batter before adding the next. Then add in oil and mix until fully combined.3 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk, ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Fold in ½ of the flour and then fold in ½ of the sweet potato mixture to the batter. Then fold in remaining flour and then remaining buttermilk mixture.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tins. Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes are done let them cool completely before frosting.
- Frost and enjoy!
- *To make sweet potato puree preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and dry a medium sized sweet potato. Using a fork poke holes in it then wrap in foil. Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until fully cooked and squishy. Let the sweet potato cool and then peel it. Put it in a food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively you could use canned sweet potato or canned pumpkin for this recipe.
- This recipe makes 24 cupcakes but if you want 12 just halve the ingredients. For ingredients that aren’t easily divided by two I recommend using ¾ cup flour, and 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk.
- Looking for a great silicone spatula? Get the one I use here!
Post updated on 8/14/2021