The Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting is amazing too and perfect for these sweet potato pie cupcakes since it balances the not super sweet cupcake with a sweet frosting. (Just a heads up the frosting does contain dairy.)
Check out my fun video on how to make them- can you spot my cute dog Hank?
I’ve made these sweet potato cupcakes on several occasions and they are always a hit!
Last year I made these for my church’s Thanksgiving Potluck and they were one of the first desserts to disappear! Don’t be intimidated by the fact that they are gluten free! They are easy to make and people won’t even be able to tell!
Where do you buy tapioca flour?
I’ve had some luck finding this flour at a few grocery stores (but not many!). If you can find a store that sells it in bulk you are good to go. Otherwise look online on amazon.
Is almond flour the same as almond meal?
No. Almond flour is much finer and a consistent light color. Almond meal is coarser and has parts of the almond skin ground up with it.
An easy to make sweet potato cupcake recipe:
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl
- Combine wet ingredients in another
- Add the wet to the dry
- Scoop into cupcake pan
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Frost and enjoy!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out my other recipes like candied walnuts and sweet roasted acorn squash! Other dessert recipes include my homemade chocolate cake, the easiest and super delicious white cake, and the best sugar cookies!
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour/starch
- ½ cup white sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup sweet potato puree*
- Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting link to recipe in instructions
- If you are making your own sweet potato puree see notes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine well in a large mixing bowl: almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and sweet potato puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Use ice cream scoop to scoop even amounts of batter into lined cupcake pan.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.