Chocolate Pudding Pie is an easy, tasty treat, perfect for when you want a delicious chocolate pie and want it fast! This pudding pie comes together in 5 minutes and only needs 4 ingredients!
The best part? This recipe is so quick and easy, you can whip it up any time you're craving something sweet.
Why you will love this recipe:
Time: With just four ingredients and five minutes of prep time, you can have a delicious dessert on the table in no time. This makes it a great option for busy weeknights, last-minute gatherings, or any time you need a quick and easy dessert fix.
Ingredients: All you need is two packages of instant chocolate pudding mix, milk, a pre-made pie crust, and frozen whipped topping. Plus, you can easily customize this recipe by using different pudding flavors or crusts, or by adding your favorite toppings.
Taste: This recipe delivers a rich and creamy chocolate flavor that's sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. The smooth and velvety texture of the pudding pairs perfectly with the crunchy Oreo crust, making for a delicious and indulgent dessert that everyone will love.
What you need:
- Oreo Pie Crust- I use a store-bought premade Oreo Crust but you can make your own too
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Cold Milk
- Frozen Whipped Topping- enough for folding into the pie and then additional to spread over the top of the pie.
- Garnish: Oreo crumbles, shaved chocolate, chocolate sprinkles
To make this recipe, you'll need a large mixing bowl, a spoon to stir, and a spatula/scrapper. (amazon affiliate link)
You will also need and a pre-made pie crust. If you don't have a pre-made crust, you can make your!
How to make your own Oreo Crust.
In a food processor, pulse 25 double stuffed Oreos. Once you have a fine crumb add 5 tbs of melted butter. Process until combined, scraping down the sides occasionally, then press into pie dish.
Bake crust in oven preheated to 350°F for 10 minutes. The remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding filling.
Sometimes I will stick the crust in the refrigerate to speed up the cooling.
How to make chocolate pudding pie?
- In a large bowl whisk instant pudding and milk.
- Mix in whipped topping.
- Pour into premade Oreo pie crust.
- Top with more whipped topping, garnish with crushed Oreos, sprinkles or chocolate shavings!
Pudding Flavor: Try a white chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, cheesecake, or dark chocolate instant pudding flavor!
Topping: Add chopped nuts, fresh berries, or chocolate shavings to make your pie even more decadent.
Brand: I typically use Cool Whip or the store brand alternative. Just make sure to let it thaw before using!
Appearance: You can smooth out the top layer so it’s nice and flat or put the whipped topping in a piping bag with a tip and create pretty designs!
Substitutions: You can use whipped cream for the topping instead of more whipped topping. Homemade tends to hold up a little better than canned, especially if you stabilize it (recipe here). I still recommend using whipped topping in the pie itself.
How to store chocolate pudding pie?
Keep this pie refrigerated until ready to eat. If you have a way of covering it that doesn’t mess up the topping, that is best
Leftover chocolate pudding pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to cover the pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it fresh.
Can you make chocolate pudding pie ahead of time?
Due to this being a no bake pie with lots of moisture I don’t recommend making it too far in advance. It’s best when made the same day it is eaten, but if you do make it ahead of time only make the day before.
Can I use non-dairy milk in this recipe?
Although you can use nondairy milk for instant pudding it isn’t recommend for pudding pie due to the pudding not setting up thick enough.
Do I have to use a pre-made pie crust?
No, you can make your own crust by crushing cookies or graham crackers and mixing them with melted butter then pressing into the pie tin.
Can I freeze this pie?
We don't recommend freezing this pie, as the texture of the pudding may become grainy and unpleasant after thawing.
Watch how to make this recipe!
Chocolate Pudding Pie
- 1 Oreo Crust store-bought/premade (see notes for homemade crust*)
- 2 instant chocolate pudding mixes 3.4-3.9 oz.
- 1 ½ cups milk cold
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed (like cool whip)
- 4 oz frozen whipped topping to spread over the pie
- Garnish with Oreos chocolate shavings, chocolate sprinkles
- Mix chocolate pudding and milk in a large bowl.Inline Ingredients2 instant chocolate pudding mixes, 1 ½ cups milk
- Mix in thawed whipped topping.8 oz frozen whipped topping
- Place in premade Oreo crust.*1 Oreo Crust
- Gently smooth additional whipped topping over the filling. Sprinkle with crushed Oreos or chocolate shavings.4 oz frozen whipped topping
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Homemade Oreo Crust: In a food processor, pulse 25 double stuffed Oreos. Once you have a fine crumb add 5 tbs of melted butter. Process until combined, scraping down the sides occasionally, then press into pie dish. Bake crust in oven preheated to 350°F for 10 minutes. The remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding filling. Sometimes I will stick it in the refrigerate to speed up the cooling.
- Use a premade or homemade graham cracker crust for a fun twist!