Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are the best! Made from scratch- these cupcakes are tender, delicious, and everything you want this fall!
What is it about pumpkin and cream cheese? It’s the perfect combination!
I’ve shared other pumpkin recipes like Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread , Pumpkin Bread Pudding, Creamy Pumpkin Pie, and Chocolate Pumpkin Pie and I really wanted to share this incredible pumpkin cupcake recipe too!
For more fall recipes check out:
- Caramel Pear Pie
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Orange Cranberry Muffins
- The Best Deviled Eggs
- Grilled Pear Salad
This recipe is actual a spin off of my favorite yellow cake recipe (I used it for my Easter Cake recipe), and I knew it would be perfect for these pumpkin cupcakes.
These cupcakes are so tender, moist, and have the perfect pumpkin flavor.
How to make Pumpkin Cupcakes?
- Whip the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla in a separate bowl
- Combine all the remaining dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add each egg and yolk to the butter mixture one at a time, then add in the oil.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture, then half of the pumpkin mixture. Repeat till everything is folded in.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tin and bake for 14 minutes
- Frost and enjoy!
How do you fold in the flour and pumpkin?
Using your spatula scrape along the side of the bowl and when you get halfway around create a j shape and fold the batter over itself into the center.
You want to fold the batter so you can keep air in the mixture.
How full do you fill cupcake liners with batter?
I recommend filling the cupcake liners ¾ full.
How to decorate the cupcakes?
I used a Wilton 2A piping tip. Start with piping a circle around the outside and circling in on itself. Then top with a pumpkin candy corn if you like those!
Can I make these pumpkin cupcakes gluten free?
Yes! Simply use my Sweet Potato Cupcake recipe but swap the sweet potato for pumpkin. That easy!
Try these cupcakes with my brown sugar buttercream if you aren’t up for cream cheese frosting. You can’t go wrong with either one!
Can I halve this recipe?
Yes. This recipe makes 24 cupcakes but if you want 12 just halve the ingredients. For ingredients that aren’t easily divided by two I recommend using ¾ cup flour, and 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk.
How to make cream cheese frosting?
- Whip butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, salt, heavy cream.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully mixed in.
My frosting is too thick or thin to pipe onto cupcakes! What should I do?
If the frosting is too thick you can add more heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time or if the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar to thicken it, ¼ cup at a time.
If you like this recipe make sure to check out:
This recipe for Pumpkin Cupcakes is simple and comes together very quickly! If you have any questions on how to make this recipe please ask me in the comments below!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter slightly softened but still cold, cut into chunks
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbs heavy cream
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Using a stand mixer, mix sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Once butter and sugar are lighter in color and fully mixed, add each egg and the yolk, one at a time, into the butter mixture, letting each one fully mix into the batter before adding the next. Then add in oil and mix until fully combined.
- Fold in ½ of the flour and then fold in ½ of the buttermilk mixture to the batter.Then fold in remaining flour and then remaining buttermilk mixture.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tin. Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes are done let them cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a stand mixer, whip your butter chunks and cream cheese on medium high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy and completely combined.
- Add in vanilla, salt and heavy cream and mix until incorporated. Then add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- You may need to add more heavy cream or more powdered sugar to get the desired consistency. If the frosting is too thick you can add more heavy cream or if the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar to thicken it.
- Pipe onto cupcakes and top with a fun pumpkin candy! Enjoy!
- I used a Wilton 2A piping tip. Start with piping a circle around the outside and circling in on itself. Then top with a pumpkin candy corn if you like those!
- This recipe makes 24 cupcakes but if you want 12 just halve the ingredients. For ingredients that aren’t easily divided by two I recommend using ¾ cup flour, and 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk.
Post updated on 11/3/2020