Chocolate Buttercream, a tasty and easy chocolate frosting that you will want to make over and over again! Rich and smooth- this chocolate buttercream is perfect for your frosting needs!
I love frosting- sometimes it is the only thing that saves a cake, cookie, or cupcake from tasting too dry or bland. And honestly, chocolate frosting is one of my absolute favorites!
Need some tasty frosting options? Give these a try:
- Easy Vanilla Buttercream
- Strawberry Buttercream
- Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting
- Grapefruit Frosting
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Buttercream
- Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Marshmallow Frosting
How to make chocolate buttercream?
Whip the butter until it is light and fluffy.
Mix in the espresso powder, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt.
While the mixer is on high alternate adding in the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream.
I love to make this frosting to pipe onto cupcakes or use to decorate cakes!
Why is my frosting runny? Why is my frosting so stiff and dry?
If your frosting is too runny add in another ¼ cup of powdered sugar and mix until completely incorporated- repeat until you get the desired stiffness you need.
If your frosting is too stiff add in 1-2 tbs of heavy whipping cream (milk will also work) and mix until completely combined. Repeat until you get the desired consistency you need.
Did anyone else frost graham crackers as a kid and eat those? Man that was so good!
If you want tips on how to get a clean edged, smooth cake check out my post here!
For frosting tips on how to get big swirls check out my cupcake post here!
If you decide to make a chocolate frosted layer cake I recommend adding in some raspberry jam in-between each layer- raspberry and chocolate are a delicious combo!
Also I highly recommend filling cupcakes with sprinkles and toppings them off with this delicious frosting! So fun and delicious!
What’s your favorite type of frosting? Let me know in the comments below!
- ½ cup cold butter cut into chunks
- ½ tsp espresso powder optional
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbs heavy whipping cream
- In a mixer whip the butter until it is fluffy. (1/2 cup butter)
Add in the espresso powder (if using), cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined. (1/2 tsp espresso powder, ½ cup cocoa powder, pinch of salt, 1 tsp vanilla)
- Add in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. Alternating between the two. I like to add in 1 cup of powder sugar followed by 2 tbs of heavy whipping cream, let it combine and then add the next round of powdered sugar and cream. (5 cups powdered sugar, 12 tbs heavy whipping cream)
- Once everything is added, mix on high for 20-30 seconds.