This amazing lemon cupcake recipe is everything you could want in a yummy cupcake! Each cupcake is topped with a sweet lemon cream cheese frosting. Could it get any better? I don't think so! Seriously amazing!
You guys, I love cupcakes! Last week I shared my grapefruit cupcakes, and a while ago I made orange marmalade cupcakes. I’ve also made chocolate cupcakes with a marshmallow frosting and next week I'm going to share my chocolate strawberry cupcakes with you all! I might have a problem... but maybe it’s not a problem, just a delicious opportunity!
Regardless, today I give you these amazing lemon cupcakes with a delicious lemon cream cheese frosting. The lemon flavor is bursting out of them and it is awesome!
For these cupcakes I used cake flour but if you don’t have any just use all purpose flour, it will be fine! The cake flour helps the cake be a little more crumbly but the cupcake will taste amazing regardless which flour you use.
The easy cream cheese frosting is super good and I love that you can change up the flavor by adding any extract you want. For these I obviously used lemon extract, but you can add vanilla, almond or any other extract! The frosting is even good plain!
Do you have a favorite cupcake? I’d love to know! Let me know if a comment below!
Amazing Lemon Cupcake Recipe
Lemon Cupcake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbs lemon zest
- 3 tbs lemon juice
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs lemon zest
How to make lemon cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla, making sure they are fully incorporated.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add in buttermilk, grapefruit juice, and lemon zest. Mix until fully combined.
- Divide batter into 12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
How to make lemon cream cheese frosting:
- With a hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, vanilla, salt on medium high until fully combined.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, adding in lemon juice in intervals to help the powdered sugar incorporate. The more powdered sugar the stiffer the frosting. I like to use at least 4 cups.*
- Stir in the zest and frost your cupcakes!