Christmas Tree Cupcakes, a simple Christmas dessert that looks impressive and tastes delicious!
Christmas Tree Cupcakes are so easy and so fun!
I am all about minimum effort but maximum awesomeness when it comes to Christmas desserts this year.
I mean my snowball cupcakes, peppermint bark, gingerbread cookies, Christmas popcorn, and holiday cake are all so easy to make but look amazing and taste delicious. Now I’d like to share these Christmas Tree Cupcakes to the list.
Seriously guys, it’s a chocolate cupcake with green frosting on top. Add a star and you have a tree. Done.
I love Christmas Cupcakes!
How to make Christmas Tree Cupcakes?
- Make a batch of my super delicious and easy chocolate cupcakes (or any cupcakes that you want!)
- Whip up the easy and delicious vanilla buttercream
- Add green food coloring to the frosting
- Using a 1M tip pipe on the frosting and top with a golden star! Add other sprinkles or powdered sugar if you want!
How to pipe Christmas Tree Cupcakes?
Easy! Using your 1M tip and a piping bag, pipe your frosting onto the cupcake. I like to start on the outside making my way up and in towards the middle while building the frosting on top of itself in a circle. Try to do this all in one unbroken movement.
You can totally practice and scrape it off and try again too! No one will know!
How to decorate Christmas Tree Cupcakes?
I like to add the yellow star on top, and then place some round sprinkles all around the tree to look like frosting. Sprinkle some powdered sugar or edible glitter on them for a snowy effect!
If you make these let me know! I love to see your creations! Tag me on Instagram @atablefullofjoy!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ¼ cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder optional
For the frosting:
- 2 cups butter cold and cut into chunks
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ½ cup plus 2 tbs heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- 1 M Piping Tip
- Piping Bags
- Golden Star Sprinkles
- Holiday Sprinkles
How to make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix together, either by hand or in a stand mixer, the oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream and eggs. Then mix in the boxed cake mix, cocoa powder, and espresso powder if using.
- Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners, I like using a ¼ measuring cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Make sure to bake all the cakes on the same oven rack so they bake evenly.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
How to make the frosting (this is a double recipe of my standard vanilla buttercream):
- In a stand mixer, whip your butter chunks on medium high speed until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
- Once the powdered sugar becomes hard to incorporate add in the vanilla, heavy cream, and pinch of salt, allowing the ingredients to incorporate fully.
- Add in green gel food coloring until you get the green you are looking for.
How to decorate cupcakes:
- Using your 1M piping tip and the green frosting frost your cupcakes. You want to build the frosting up while moving the bag and tip in a circular motion.
- Place a star at the top and then use other sprinkles to decorate the tree.
- Add sprinkles right after you make the tree. If the frosting sets up the sprinkles won't stick.
- To make a darker green colored frosting stir in a tiny bit of blue and black food coloring gel to the green frosting.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Links to amazon products are affiliate links.
Post updated on 11/29/2020