You guys have I told you how much I love cupcakes?! Here I give you my super easy and super delicious strawberry cupcakes with my absolute favorite chocolate frosting recipe.
In the previous weeks I have shared my fun grapefruit cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, and now these delicious strawberry cupcakes. These might just be my favorite because who doesn’t love a chocolate strawberry combo?!
I mean I even have a chocolate strawberry breakfast smoothie (don’t worry it’s healthy!) and now I have these amazingly easy cupcakes for dessert! Perfect way to start and end a day!
This easy cupcake recipe uses a box mix! I know you might be think- WHAT! That’s not a real homemade cupcake recipe! But, hear me out! I’ve added some ingredients to the cake mix to make these some of the best cupcakes you’ve ever tasted! Seriously don’t knock it ’till you’ve tried it!
I’m always impressed when people take cake mixes and make them taste amazing and so I was inspired by Baking With Blondies amazing cakes! She uses box cake mixes and then really makes them amazing! Seriously look her up! I thought I’d try out some of her adaptations for these strawberry cupcakes- and I am so glad I did!
For these cupcakes you simply add the wet ingredients together, and then mix in the cake mix. Pour the batter into the cup cake liners and bake until done. So good and so easy! And as good as the cupcakes are, you guys won’t believe how amazing the frosting is.
The frosting is my adaptation to the classic Perfectly Dark Hershey Chocolate Frosting Recipe that I used in my cake pops! You can use the special dark cocoa if you want, but I wanted a milk chocolate frosting so I went with standard cocoa powder.
If your house is warm you might want to refrigerate this frosting for 10 minutes before piping it on and then let them set up in the fridge for another 10 minutes. Once they frosting is set though, it holds up really well. I used a Wilton 1M piping tip to get the awesome swirl!
These are so good! You won’t regret making it!
Give these cupcakes a try and let me know how much you love them!
Check out all my cupcakes recipes:
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting and Dipped in Chocolate
- Orange Marmalade Cupcakes with a Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Cupcakes with a Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Grapefruit Cupcakes with a Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting
Strawberry Cupcakes with the Best Chocolate Frosting
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 box of strawberry cupcake mix I used Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme
- *See notes for high altitude adjustments
Easy Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup butter melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to make the best strawberry cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer combine eggs, oil, sour cream, and buttermilk.
- Add in cake mix and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes or until the batter is pretty smooth.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup scoop the batter into the cup cake liners.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, frost with my easy frosting recipe, enjoy!
The Best Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish.
- Mix in cocoa powder. Alternate stirring in the powdered sugar and milk in increments. I like to do 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 splash of milk, stir and repeat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Frost the cupcakes. I used a 1M Tip to get the big swirls!
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.