Best Chewy Chocolate Cookies, easy to make and extra delicious! These will be your new favorite cookie!
Best Chewy Chocolate Cookies
These chocolate cookies are one of my absolute favorite cookies. I feel like I say that a lot- but what can I say- I LOVE cookies!
I recently shared these in my most favorite form- these M&M Valentines Cookies (because sprinkles, chocolate candies, and the best cookie ever?! YES PLEASE!).
But this cookie is my go-to for any chocolate cookie.
Even though I’ve shared this recipe in one form or another a few times (remember my Hot Cocoa Cookies? Or German Chocolate Cookies? Used them in both recipes too!) I thought I’d give these beauties their own post.
Let’s make these cookies!
How to make chewy chocolate cookies:
- Heat your oven and line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper
- Whip up your butter and then cream with the sugar
- Add in eggs and espresso powder then the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Scoop the cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until just done.
How to store cookies:
Once cooled store in an air tight container for up to a week- but I bet you they will be eaten way before that!
Can I freeze the dough?
Yep! Scoop your dough, form into balls, then place in a freezer zip lock baggie and freeze until ready to use- freeze for up to 2 months!
When ready to bake, preheat oven, take your cookie dough from the freezer place on a baking sheet and bake! No need to thaw. The cookies will most likely need a minute or two extra while baking.
Can I use chocolate chunks/ chocolate bar chopped up instead of chocolate chips?
Yes! Using at least one bar of chocolate chopped up in lieu of 1 cup of chocolate chips will give some serious ooey gooey chocolateyness to these cookies. However, regular chocolate chips will still taste delicious!
Help! My cookies are turning out harder than I want!
Simply bake the cookies for 1 minute less. I like to take these out when they are slightly underdone and then let them sit on the baking sheet for a minute. It helps them to be super soft and chewy.
I've used this recipe as a base for many of my cookies- including my favorite M&M Sprinkle Cookie!
For more tasty recipes check out:
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Cookie Bars
- S’mores Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Cake
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold*
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp espresso powder optional
- 2 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips*
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high until light and fluffy.
- Add in the sugar and mix until full combined. You may need to scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the vanilla, eggs, and espresso powder, if using, and mix until combined. Mixture will look really wet.
- Turn the mixture to low and add in the flour ½ cup at a time then add the cocoa powder.
- Turn the mixer up to medium speed and add in the baking powder and salt. Make sure to scrape the sides and bottoms.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough and form into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes*
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Lisa’s Tips*I like to cube my butter so it’s easier/faster for the mixer to whip up.
* Using a chopped-up chocolate bar in lieu of 1 cup of chocolate chips gives a nice melty chocolate cookie.
*I like to pull the cookies out slightly underdone- closer to 9 minutes- which helps them stay softer and chewier.