Red White and Blue Cupcakes are such a fun and easy treat! These cupcakes are perfect for the 4th of July or Memorial Day!
Recently I shared my 4th of July Cake, my Firecracker Cake, this chocolate chip pie, and this fun Red White and Blue Cheesecake Salad, but I knew I needed to share this super easy patriotic cupcake.
With just 3 colors of frosting and a few sprinkles you can create a super fun cupcake ready for any celebration!
What you need:
- Box of White Cake Mix
- Additional Cake Mix Ingredients: Vegetable Oil, Sour Cream, Heavy Creamy, Egg Whites
- M&Ms: Red, White, and Blue colored. I add these to the batter for extra fun, but they are optional
- Frosting: Powdered Sugar, Vanilla, Heavy Cream, Gel Food Coloring (Red and Blue)
- Star Sprinkles
- Equipment: Large Round Icing Tip (Wilton 1A- optional), Piping Bags (affiliate links)
Why use boxed cake mix?
Boxed cake mix is such an easy way to start this recipe. I love to doctor the mix by adding sour cream, heavy cream, and extra egg whites and with these additions you won’t believe how good this cake is!
How to make Red White and Blue Cupcakes?
- Mix together the oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream, and egg whites. Then stir in the white cake mix and M&Ms.
- Pour into lined cupcake tin and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Only fill your cupcake liners ¾ full for uniform, rounded cupcakes that don’t spill over!
- Once done baking, allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
How to make the red white and blue frosting?
- Whip your butter on high until light and fluffy. Then mix in the vanilla and salt.
- Add the heavy cream (1-2 tbs at a time) and powdered sugar (1 cup at a time), alternating between the two, mixing on medium/low.
- Once everything is incorporated turn the mixer to med/high and mix for 30 seconds to had volume.
- Divide frosting into 3 bowls, mix in blue coloring to one, red to another, and leave the third white.
How to Decorate the cupcakes?
- Place your piping tip in the bags and then put one color of frosting to each bag. Or just cut the tip off the end of the piping bag.
- Layer the colors any way you like!
- Add stars and sprinkles then enjoy!
Pro Tip: You can just cut the end off a piping bag or ziploc baggie to pipe the frosting. I cut 1 ½ inches off a piping bag so I didn't have to use piping tips! (Cut less off a ziploc baggie since the corner isn't as long as a piping bag!)
Variations of Red White and Blue Cupcakes:
Batter: Try coloring the cupcake batter and layering it with blue on the bottom, white in the middle, and red on top, then baking!
Sprinkles: Instead of coloring the frosting just add a bunch of fun red, white, and blue sprinkles.
Can you make these cupcakes ahead of time?
Yep! Make these cupcakes 1-2 days in advance.
How to store cupcakes?
Store in the refrigerator, ideally in an air tight container to keep unwanted food odors from being absorbed.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my 4th of July cookies, candied bacon, mandarin orange salad, buffalo wing dip, candied bacon or jalapenos, and these tasty wagyu burgers for more party ready foods!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Red White and Blue Cupcakes
- 3 Large Round Icing Tip Wilton 1A* (optional)
- 3 Icing Piping Bags
- 1 box of white cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup M&Ms red, white, and blue optional
Red White and Blue Frosting
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter slightly softened*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs vanilla I like to use clear vanilla for this recipe
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 10 tbs heavy cream ½ cup plus 2 tbs
- 1 teaspoon Red Food Coloring I like to use gel
- ½ teaspoon Blue Food Coloring I like to use gel
- Star Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix together, either by hand or in a stand mixer, the oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream and eggs. Then mix in the boxed cake mix and M&Ms.1 box of white cake mix, ½ cup vegetable oil, 2 tbs vanilla, ¾ cup sour cream, ¾ cup heavy cream, 4 egg whites, ¾ cup M&Ms
- Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners ¾ full, I like using a measuring cup.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Red White and Blue Frosting
- In a stand mixer, whip your butter on medium high speed until the butter is light and fluffy. Then mix in the vanilla and salt.2 cups Unsalted Butter, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tbs vanilla
- Alternating between 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tbs heavy cream, mix each in until fully incorporated. I recommend mixing this on medium low, then once all heavy cream and powdered sugar is add, turn the mixer on medium/high and whip for 30 seconds to add volume.10 tbs heavy cream, 10 cups powdered sugar
- Divide frosting into three separate bowls. Fold in red food coloring to one bowl, blue to another, and leave the third white.1 teaspoon Red Food Coloring, ½ teaspoon Blue Food Coloring
- Place your piping tips in the piping bags (or cut the corner off a piping bag*), then add each color frosting to its own bag. Pipe on the frosting in a circle, then repeat with the other colors. I like to alternate the colors then add sprinkles and stars.Star Sprinkles
- *If you need to soften your butter fast, place it on a microwave safe dish in the microwave, turn your microwave to 30% power and microwave for 15 second intervals until soft.
- *If the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar, 1 tbs at a time, to thicken it. If it’s too thick add more heavy cream, 1 tbs at a time until it’s at your desired consistency.
- *Instead of dealing with 3 of the same piping tips I just cut 1 ½ inch off of 3 separate piping bags.
This post was updated on 3/27/2023. Originally it was white cupcakes filled with M&Ms and topped with stabilized whipped cream and sprinkles.
Holy moly! These cupcakes are amazing!
Such a cute idea. I love the surprise middles!
these are so cool! I love surprise cupcakes like these!
What a fun surprise to fun inside. I love that there's a bit of hidden treasure in these.
how cute! I would totally make these for any holiday!