Grapefruit cupcakes are a fun and delicious way to welcome in spring! These homemade cupcakes are easy to make, delicious, and have a wonderful texture. The easy cream cheese frosting compliments the cupcakes perfectly and tastes amazing! Overall, one of my favorite spring inspired cupcakes!
I love cupcakes and I love how these turned out! The pretty pink frosting piled high on top of this delicious cupcake is gorgeous and quite delicious. They are so easy to make and even easier to eat!
I’m on a spring cupcake kick and in the next few weeks I’ll have a couple more cupcakes recipes coming out, but I wanted to start with these beauties. I was contemplating making either lemon cupcakes or grapefruit cupcakes and when I asked my husband which I should do- he said both!
So, that’s what I did! I wanted to share these yummy grapefruit cupcakes first though because they are my favorite! They are perfect for Easter, Baby Showers, Mother’s Day or anytime really. They are easy to make and really pretty with all that fun pink frosting on top!
Speaking of the frosting- you have to go make this! It’s a pretty standard recipe for cream cheese frosting, but I like to add a little more powdered sugar to it than some recipes suggest so the frosting is a bit stiffer and holds up better if sitting at room temperature. You can also refrigerate the amazing cream cheese frosting and that will help it thicken up too. You can also add more grapefruit juice if you want a stronger grapefruit flavor, but you might need to add a little more powdered sugar to compensate for the extra liquid.
Seriously go make these cupcakes! Or come visit and I’ll make them for you!
Do you have a favorite springtime dessert recipe? I’d love to know! Let me know in a comment below and then go make these!
If you liked these don't miss my Orange Marmalade Cupcakes or my Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Cupcakes!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Grapefruit Cupcakes with a Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting
Homemade Cupcake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbs grapefruit zest
- 3 tbs grapefruit juice
Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbs grapefruit juice
- 2 tbs grapefruit zest
- Food coloring optional
How to make grapefruit cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla, making sure they are fully incorporated.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add in buttermilk, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit zest. Mix until fully combined.
- Divide batter into 12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
How to make grapefruit cream cheese frosting:
- With a hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese on medium high until fully combined.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, adding in grapefruit juice in intervals to help the powdered sugar incorporate. The more powdered sugar the stiffer the frosting. I like to use at least 4 cups.*
- Stir in the zest, and food coloring if using, and frost your cupcakes!
Don't tell people that you'll make these for them, you're going to have a line out the door! But seriously, another fun recipe, can't wait to try
Another to add to our list of dessert recipes. I never made a Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting before. I will definitely try this.
These look super yummy - I never would have thought to put grapefruit in frosting but it sounds delicious!!
These cupcakes are not only pretty but I'm sure they're also delicious!!
Such a unique flavor and so pretty too!
I love grapefruit and cupcakes, but never thought to put them together. Totally YUM! Such a fresh, tasty twist on the classic cupcake 🙂
These cupcakes look super YUM!!!!! I wish I had seen this earlier, I could have made it for the kids to enjoy after dinner. Looks extremely delicious.
I have a similar recipe and made grapefruit curd for the filling. Yum!
Oh man that sounds amazing! Talk about tasking it to the next level! I'll have to try that next time!
I made a cake for my moms birthday and just used the frosting, this frosting recipe is amazing!
Yay! I love the frosting!