This is an easy and delicious brown sugar buttercream that will have everyone raving! Smooth and delicious every time!
It is an easy spin off of my classic buttercream and perfect for those fall desserts that need a little more sweetness!
Brown Sugar Frosting Ingredients
With only a handful of ingredients you can make this delicious frosting!
- Butter- Unsalted, if you use salted don't add salt later in the recipe
- Brown Sugar- Light or Dark
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
How to make brown sugar buttercream:
- Whip butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and heavy cream 1tbs at a time
- Mix in a pinch of salt and vanilla
- Mix on high until fluffy and everything is fully incorporated!
This is the frosting I always use on my sweet potato cupcakes. It is so good and the perfect baring for all your favorite fall recipes.
If you want to learn how to frost cupcakes like I did in the picture below check out this recipe for a step by step guide!
How to incorporate brown sugar into frosting?
Mix your butter and brown sugar on low at first, then increase to medium speed. When incorporating your powdered sugar and heavy cream keep sped on medium low for a 1 minute or 2 until the texture is smooth and not gritty.
Can you use brown sugar instead of confectioners sugar in frosting?
You can use all brown sugar but the structure/stability and the texture of the frosting will be different. Powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) typically has additives that help with stabilization.
How to get air bubbles out of frosting for icing cakes?
When you are looking for a really smooth icing for frosting cakes (like my pink and gold cake, or my german chocolate cake), you will want to beat the frosting on low for 30 seconds after mixing on high to activate the heavy cream.
Beating on low gets the large air bubbles out.
If you like this recipe make sure to check out my other desserts! You’ll find delicious recipes like my award winning white chocolate cheese cake, the best homemade chocolate cake, and my favorite caramel corn!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Brown Sugar Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter slightly softened and cut into chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tbs vanilla*
- Pinch of salt
- In a stand mixer, whip your butter chunks and brown sugar on medium low speed until the butter is light and fluffy and the brown sugar is incorporated.1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup brown sugar
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and the heavy cream 1 tbs at a time, letting it mix into the butter completely.5 cups powdered sugar, 5 tbs heavy cream
- Add in the vanilla and a pinch of salt, allowing the ingredients to incorporate fully on medium low speed.1 tbs vanilla*, Pinch of salt
- Gritty frosting: to avoid gritty frosting from the brown sugar, mix the butter and brown sugar on medium-low until full incorporated. Then mix in the powdered sugar and heavy cream on medium until smooth.
- Check out my sweet potato cupcakes to see how to frost the cupcakes!
Post updated on 8/14/2021