Homemade Lemon Bars Recipe- easy to make and delicious! Enjoy this refreshing lemon bars recipe that’s prefect for dessert or a fun treat!
After my first bite of these I thought to myself, “these are dangerous- I need to give these to my husband to take to work ASAP!” These lemon bars are that good- that if I didn’t give them away, I would’ve eaten them all!
There is something so refreshing about food with lemon in it- or any citrus really.
Everything from the crust to the delicious gooey lemony filling to the powdered sugar on top makes these lemon bars perfect!
How to make lemon bars:
- Combine the crust ingredients in medium sized bowl
- Press crust into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown
- Mix together all the ingredients for the filling and then pour onto baked crust
- Bake again for another 26 minutes or until the filling is set
- Allow to cool and then sprinkle with powdered sugar
Do I have to use real lemon juice? Can I use store bough lemon juice for this lemon bar recipe?
I do recommend using real lemons for these lemon squares. It adds lemon flavor that is really needed to make these the best lemon bars ever.
Also adding lemon zest into the filling gives it more flavor as well.
What kind of lemons do you recommend?
You can use any lemon you’d like. Meyer’s lemons are known to be a little sweeter if that’s what you are wanting.
Why do I need to bake the crust first?
You bake the crust before adding the filling in order to prevent the crust from getting soggy. If you don’t prebake the crust you will have a mushy mess and no one wants that!
Can I use other citrus juice from a lemon or grapefruit?
Let me know if the comments below what other desserts you love that have lemon or other citrus flavors in them!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out these other tasty treats:
- Grapefruit Cupcakes
- Homemade Brownies
- Double Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- Caramel Pear Pie
- Butterfly Cookies
Watch how to make this recipe!
Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice fresh (3-4 lemons worth)
- 1 tbs lemon zest optional
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crust, mixing thoroughly until you have a dough. (1 cup flour, ¼ cup powdered sugar, pinch of salt, ½ cup melted butter, and 1 tsp vanilla)
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, making sure to cover the entire bottom of the dish and the dough is spread out evenly.
- Bake the dough for 20 minutes or just until the edges start to brown.
- While dough is baking, combine all the ingredients for the for the filling in a medium sized mixing bowl. (1 cup sugar, 3 tbs flour, 3 eggs, ½ cup lemon juice, 1 tbs lemon zest)
- Pour filling into baked crust. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until the center of the lemon bars is set and doesn’t jiggle.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut, and enjoy!