These Candy Cane Cupcakes are super easy to make and really festive! Take these candy cane cupcakes to any holiday party and everyone will love them!
Candy Cane Cupcakes
I am so happy with how these candy cane cupcakes turned out! They are tasty, moist, and have the perfect peppermint flavor.
Can I use peppermint extract instead of crushed candy canes in the batter?
Yes. However, I prefer the taste of the candy canes to that of the peppermint extract. The extract can be a little overwhelming where as the candy canes give you pockets of peppermint flavor in the delicious cupcakes. If you want to use extract add 1-2 tsp instead of candy canes.
I tried piping in layers of red velvet batter and white batter to give the cupcakes a striped look but it didn’t work as well as I had hoped. I finally tried swirling the two and loved how they came out!
How to make Candy Cane Cupcakes:
- Mix up a batch of white cake batter and stir in half of the crushed candy canes
- Mix up a batch of red velvet cake batter and stir in the remain half of crushed candy canes
- Combine the two batters in each cupcake liner swirling them together gently
- Frost with my easy vanilla butter cream
- Decorate with crushed candy canes and mini candy canes!
I love adding the mini candy canes as decorations!
How to make a box cake taste homemade?
Easy! Simply add in some heavy cream, an extra egg and some extra vanilla extract!
How many cupcakes does a box make?
This recipe will make 48 cupcakes since you are combining two boxes of cake mix.
How do I store the cupcakes?
Any leftover cupcakes store in an airtight container in the fridge. I have a few really large tupperware containers that hold cupcakes nicely. That’s what I use.
Peppermint Cupcakes- the perfect Christmas Cupcake!
Candy Cane Cupcakes
- 1 batch of white cake mix link to recipe in instructions
- 1 batch red velvet cake mix
- 10-12 candy canes crushed
For the red velvet cake mix
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 batches of buttercream frosting linked in instructions below
- Mini Candy Canes for Decoration
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a cup cake pan with cupcake liners
- Mix up one batch of my white cake mix, add half of the crushed candy canes and gently mix in – set aside
- Mix up the red velvet cake mix by combining oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream and eggs in a mixer. Add the box mixture and combine until just combined. * Then mix in the remaining crushed candy canes.
- Scoop 2 spoonfuls of red velvet batter into each cupcake liner. Then scoop 1-2 spoonfuls of white batter on top of the red velvet batter. Then using a knife or toothpick swirl the mixtures together. Be careful not to mix them together too thoroughly or else the white will completely incorporate.
- You can alternate with white batter as the base and the red velvet on top.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost with my easy butter cream frosting*. You can substitute ½ tsp peppermint extract for the vanilla in the recipe (per batch) for more peppermint flavor or crush up more candy canes and sprinkle them on top! I also love to stick a mini candy cane in the cupcake for a pretty presentation!