These 4th of July Cookies are so fun and super tasty! With sprinkles and red, white, and blue candies they are extra festive for the 4th!
I know I’ve shared my easy pudding cookies before but I have to be honest- these are my new favorite cookies!
They are easy to make and are one of the most delicious cookies you’ll ever have! And if it’s not the 4th swap out the candies for chocolate chips- yesssss!
Now if you are looking for 4th of July cookies to cut out and decorate, I highly recommend my sugar cookie recipe and decorating with some colored buttercream However, if you don’t have time and just want an easy cookie- these are going to check that box!
For more 4th of July favorites check out my surprise 4th of July Cupcakes, Flag Cake, Red White and Blue Cheesecake Salad, Firecracker Cake, this smoked ribeye, some jalapeno deviled eggs, some broccoli slaw and this tasty lemonade recipe!
What you need for 4th of July Cookies
- Dry Ingredients: Granulated White Sugar, Brown Sugar (light or dark, both work), Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt
- Wet Ingredients: Unsalted Butter, Eggs (plus an extra egg yolk), Vanilla
- Candy: Red, White, and Blue M&Ms and Sprinkles
- Cookie Scoop- I used a #24 size which made about 25 cookies (affiliate link)
Growing up my family would visit family on the farm up in Oregon and huge party, firework show, and potluck would be put on. Pretty much everyone from the small town of Pacific City would come out and celebrate.
The 4th of July has always been a big deal in my family and now that I’m older I have come to realize how grateful I am to live in the country I do and to truly celebrate what the 4th of July really means!
So now when we celebrate, I love bring as many fun treats with me and these cookies are at the top of that list!
How to make 4th of July Cookies?
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Mix in the eggs, extra yolk, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold in the candies and sprinkles.
- Scoop and let dough rest.
- Bake and enjoy!
Helpful Tip: I highly recommend using a stand or hand mixer to make these. It makes everything so much easier and gives the dough a nice consistency. (amazon affiliate link)
Why chill cookie dough?
Chilling cookie dough for at least 30 minutes allows the butter to solidify to prevent spread. It will also allow the dough to dry out which creates a deep and more rich flavor profile, and makes the cookie more chewy.
These cookies are so much fun to make whether its for the 4th of July or Memorial Day.
Patriotic Cookies are a fun and easy way to celebrate the holidays!
Freeze- Make the dough and scoop into balls. Then place the cookie dough balls in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to several months! Just bake according to the directions straight from the freezer! You might need to add a few minutes to the bake time but everything else is the same!
Baked Cookies- Store baked cookies in an air tight container or zip lock baggie for up to 3-4 days. These are best consumed within 1-2 days for optimal freshness.
How to Soften Cold Butter Faster?
Stick Butter in the microwave and turn the microwave power to 30%. Then heat for 15 second intervals until softened.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies- Swap the M&Ms for chocolate chips and bake as directed!
- Any Holiday- Swap out the color of M&Ms and sprinkles for any holiday-colored M&Ms and sprinkles for an easy treat!
Watch how to make this recipe!
4th of July Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened*
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups red white and blue M&Ms
- ¼ cup red white and blue sprinkles optional but highly recommend
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium high for 4 minutes, until they are nicely combined.1 cup unsalted butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar
- Add in eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix for another 1-2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape down the side of the bowl at least once.2 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk, 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then mix on medium low until combined.2 ⅓ cups flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fold in the candies and sprinkles with a spatula.2 cups red white and blue M&Ms, ¼ cup red white and blue sprinkles
- Using a cookie scoop, place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.*
- After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking she with parchment paper, placing 9-12 cookies evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet. Press in additional candies and sprinkles to the top if you want a prettier cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes, until they are just starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow cool for a minute, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- *If you need to soften your butter straight from the refrigerator, simply stick it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds on POWER LEVEL 30%. Check after 15 seconds then microwave longer if needed.
- *Letting the cookies rest for at least 30 minutes (or overnight), allows the butter to solidify, reducing spread, and allows the cookie to “dry out” which gives a richer flavor and makes it a more chewy cookie. If you do bake them right away, they will still be delicious, but I recommend you making these again and letting them rest to see if you can tell a difference!
*Read more on why to chill cookie dough in this article from King Arthur Baking.
Post updated 3/28/2023