Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, an easy and delicious frosting that you will want to make again and again. If you enjoy chocolate than you will love this dark chocolate frosting!
This is one of my favorite frostings! I probably say that about every frosting I make but oh well.
I guess I just love frosting!
This easy chocolate frosting recipe is rich, smooth, and something you will love!
How to make dark chocolate buttercream frosting:
- Whip the butter
- Mix in espresso powder, dark cocoa powder, and vanilla
- Mix in the powdered sugar and heavy cream
What if my frosting is too runny?
Mix in more powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want. Start with ¼ powdered sugar then increase from there.
What if my frosting is too stiff?
Mix in more heavy whipping cream until you get the consistency you want. Start with 1 tbs heavy whipping cream then increase from there.
I recently used this chocolate buttercream recipe on my Valentines Day Cupcakes- and it was perfect!
Add sprinkles to your chocolate frosting for an extra flair!
Make sure to check out my other frosting recipes!
- Milk Chocolate Buttercream
- Marshmallow Frosting
- Brown Sugar Frosting
- Best Vanilla Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup cold butter cut into chunks
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder I used Hershey’s Special Dark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbs heavy whipping cream
- In a mixer whip the butter until it is fluffy.
- Add in the espresso powder, dark cocoa powder, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. Alternating between the two. I like to add in 1 cup of powder sugar followed by 2 tbs of heavy whipping cream, let it combine and then add the next round of powdered sugar and cream.
- Once everything is added, mix on high for 20-30 seconds.
- *If you are going to pipe the frosting on really tall then you will need to double this recipe.
Post updated 12/9/2020