Green Chile Cheeseburger- one of the best and simplest burgers ever. Full of flavor, a little heat, and cheesy goodness- you will want this every time you have a burger!
You all know I love burgers. I’ve shared my all my tips and tricks on how to make the best homemade burgers, my favorite fall burger (the apple chutney burger), and now I want to share one of my favorite burgers of all time- the green chile burger.
Living in New Mexico green chile is on everything. From desserts (yes really!), to appetizers, in soups, pizza, breakfast burritos, and burgers. Even fast food chains like Subway and McDonald’s have it on their menu.
What is a Green Chile Burger?
A green chile burger is typically a cheeseburger with American Cheese, and roasted chopped green chile. It’s that simple and that delicious.
Many restaurants will add typical condiments like mustard, mayo, onions, and lettuce- but whether you want to or not is up to you! If you are feeling a little adventurous try a fried egg on your burger- it’s a very Southwest thing to do!
Isn’t it called a green chilli burger? Chilli with and i?
Nope. Chilli with an i is a meat and sometimes bean mixture. Chile with and e is a popular pepper grown in New Mexico and some parts of Colorado.
How to make green chile sauce for the burger?
Some people add lots of stuff to make green chile sauce and that works more for enchiladas- but for burgers I like to keep it simple.
Add roasted, chopped, green chile into a saucepan. Add a little salt and a little garlic powder. Stir and heat.
How to make a green chile cheeseburger?
- Cook up your hamburger patties- check out my post on how to make the best patties (grilled, baked, or stove top)
- Place cheese on the warm patties to melt
- Mix up your green chile sauce and warm it on the stove
- Add any of your favorite toppings and the green chile sauce
Best burger basics:
- Use ground beef with between 20% and 30% fat
- Don’t overwork the ground beef
- Don’t over season (there’s no need too!)
- Make the patties at least 4 inches in diameter
- Most importantly cook the burgers to your perfect internal temperature of doneness- cooking times will vary based on cooking method and cooking appliance (different ovens, grills, and pans will all affect how the burger cooks)
Where to find the best green chile burger in New Mexico?
If you ever do come to New Mexico, three of the best and most highly debated green chile burgers are here for you to taste.
- The Owl Bar in San Antonio (mine and my husbands favorite)
- The Buckhorn in San Antonio
- Sparky’s in Hatch
There is also an Owl Bar in Albuquerque but we prefer the one in San Antonio.
Now everyone says their restaurants serve the best green chile burger but these are my top favorites.
I went to grad school in a little town named Socorro that was only 10 miles from San Antonio so I got my fill of tasty green chile cheeseburgers.
Anyways, there is no need to travel all the way to NM for your green chile burger fix. Now you can make it in the comfort of your own home wherever that may be!
Where to find green chile?
Of course, fresh is best, but I totally understand green chile’s aren’t available everywhere.
I typically will get 20lbs roasted every harvest season, chop, and freeze it for use throughout the year. When I do run out of my own , green chile is readily available in the freezer section at every grocery store.
If your grocery store doesn’t have green chile in the freezer section they will likely have chopped green chile in the canned vegetable aisle.
If you are able to get some fresh green chile during harvest season (August-September) and the store won’t roast it for you check out how to roast, and freeze it here.
Sides to have with a green chile burger:
Favorite Drinks with Burgers (besides a delicious ice-cold soda):
After Burger Desserts:
Watch how to make this recipe!
Green Chile Cheeseburger
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices American Cheese
Green Chile Sauce
- 1 cup roasted chopped, green chile
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- chopped onion
- hamburger buns
- Divide ground beef into four ¼ lb patties* and flatten at least 4 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook by your method of choice. Check here for tips on cooking burgers three different ways!
- Once patties are done cooking, add cheese to melt.
- In a small saucepan combine green chile, salt, and garlic powder. Add more garlic powder and salt to taste.
- Once green chile is warmed, add to burger along with any other condiments and enjoy!
*This recipe is for two, double patty cheeseburgers. You can also make two ½ lb burgers if you prefer, or four single ¼ lb burgers.
*Toasting your hamburger buns is a delicious addition to any burger!
Post was updated on 7/6/2020