This easy watermelon drink is perfectly sweet, and super refreshing! It great on a hot summer day or when you just need a cold pick me up!
Do you love slushies and watermelon like I do? I figured I’d make a tasty combo of both with this Watermelon Slush!
Watermelon makes a great base for slushies because they have so much water in them. You don’t need ice- just freeze the water melon!
Make sure to check out these other tasty drinks too:
How to make watermelon slushies?
- Cube and freeze your watermelon
- Once frozen place watermelon chunks in a high powered blender or food processor
- Add lime juice and sugar and blend
How to cut and freeze watermelon cubes?
- Start by cutting a thin slice off one side of the watermelon to create a nice flat base
- Slice the watermelon then remove the rind
- Cut the watermelon flesh into chunks- depending on your blender/processor you might want to cut smaller or larger chunks
- Place chunks in a parchment lined baking sheet or pan making sure they don’t touch, then add another piece of parchment paper over them, add more watermelon, and repeat
- Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze until solid- 2-4 hrs
- It’s important that the cubes don’t touch or else they will freeze together!
What type of blender should I use to make these?
I recommend a high powered blender (like a Breville SuperQ or Vitamix) with a tamper. If you don’t have one of those use a food processor and scrape down the sides every now and then.
Help! My slushie is too thick or not blending!
- To prevent this I recommend allowing your watermelon to partially thaw for 10 minutes or so.
- Use the tamper on your blender to push the watermelon chunks down ‘
- Lastly add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to get things moving in your blender- I promise it won’t make it watery!
What size of watermelon should I use?
I use a medium sized watermelon for this recipe and can get 6 large cupfulls (pictured) or 12 smaller servings.
Can I use lemon juice instead of lime juice?
Yep! It will taste a little different but will still be tasty!
Add a few mint leaves when blending for a minty twist to this easy watermelon drink recipe!
For more tasty recipes check out:
- 10 cups watermelon cubed and frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Cube and freeze your watermelon for at least 4 hours. I recommend cubing or cutting the watermelon into chunks, removing the rind, and lying flat on a parchment lined baking sheet and then freezing. This will take up more space in your freezer, but it will make it a lot easier to work with when making the slushie.
- Once frozen work in batches to make the drink depending on the size of your blender/food processor. I like to work in two batches. Add half the cubed watermelon, ½ cup sugar, 1/4 cup lime juice to a food processor or high powered blender.
- Blend for 20-40 seconds, using a tamper if your blender has one- until it is the consistency you want. If the consistency is too thick add 1/4 cup water and try blending again.
I used this recipe to make Psychomelon Slushies for my Hearthstone inspired recipes! I just colored some of the slushie green and layered it in the cup for a neat effect!
Hearthstone Card Image from Gamepedia
©2014 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Hearthstone is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Blizzard Entertainment is a trademark or registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.
Thank you Hearthstone for some of the fun items given to me for my pictures!
Recipe updated on 4/10/2020