This Arugula Pear Salad Recipe is full of cooked pears, pecans, bacon, shallots, goat cheese, berries and topped with the best port dressing! Easy to make and feels fancy!
This is my favorite autumn salad. It is so flavorful, so easy to make, and tastes like a million bucks.
I first had a version of this pecan pear salad at a restaurant in Albuquerque, and ever since I moved to a new town, I knew I needed to come up with a similar recipe to make it for myself.
Check out these other tasty recipes:
- Apple Chutney Blue Cheese Burger
- Smoked Chicken
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Pasta Salad with Pepperoni
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
How to make autumn salad?
- Toast pecan halves
- Cook bacon
- Slice up pears, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt, then broil
- Make the dressing
- Assemble and enjoy!
What kind of pears should you use for the salad?
I like to go with a semi firm pear, and will usually get either Bosc or Bartlett pears.
How do you cut pears for a salad?
I like to slice from top to bottom and make wedges. Don’t forget to remove the pit and seeds.
If you prefer smaller pear slices that works too.
What kind of cheese goes with pears?
This autumn salad goes great with with goat cheese or gorgonzola.
However, if you would rather use blue cheese or brie for this salad that would taste delicious too!
Pears by themselves are also delicious with cheddar cheese in my opinion. What other cheeses do you like with pears? Let me know in the comments!
Can I make this autumn salad recipe ahead of time? How to store leftovers?
Absolutely. Toast the pecans, broil the pears, and cook the bacon. Store every topping separately.
To reheat the pears and bacon simply microwave.
Make the dressing ahead of time but don’t mix in the olive oil until ready to serve. You can microwave or heat on the stove the dressing if you want it warm.
If you make the dressing and have leftovers, store in the refrigerator. To reheat simply microwave until the olive oil has melted.
Let’s talk about the dressing for a second.
Port vinaigrette is so simple and so incredibly delicious.
How to make port vinaigrette dressing?
- Combine port and diced shallots in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil and stir for 3 minutes
- Remove from heat, strain shallots, mix in olive oil and red wine vinegar
Why type of Port do I recommend?
Honestly, I try to find a cheaper Port since I will be using it in the dressing and not drinking it- and Port can definitely become quite pricey!
This dressing is great on a prosciutto salad too!
How to store dressing?
I like to store the dressing in a mason jar. That way you can shake it to get rid of any separation right a way and you can just put a lid on it and store in the refrigerator any leftovers.
What if you don’t have Port?
I too have found myself every now and then sadly without Port when I wat to make this delicious pear salad recipe. When that happens, I try to use red wine vinegar and a little sugar to substitute (Port typically has a lot sugar in it).
Simply boil the shallots in red wine vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar and skip adding the red wine vinegar at the end of the recipe. It will still be tasty but definitely give using real Port a try!
One of the best things about salads is once you have all the toppings ready all you have to do is assemble. This makes is really easy to have tasty salads throughout the week.
I am so excited for you to try this easy pear salad! Seriously, say goodbye to old boring salads that no one really wants to eat!
Make sure to check out these other tasty recipes!
- Apple Pecan Salad
- Smoked Drumsticks
- White Chocolate Cheesecake with Blackberry Sauce
- Homemade Brownies
- Caramel Pear Pie
Watch how to make this recipe!
Autumn Salad -Arugula Pear Salad Recipe with a Port Vinaigrette
Grilled Pear Salad
- 1 cup Pecan Halves
- 6 slices bacon thick cut
- 4 pears Bosc or Bartlett
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Goat Cheese
- Mixed Greens with Arugula
- 1 ½ cups Port
- ½ large shallot diced
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread pecan halves onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.1 cup Pecan Halves
- Slice up bacon into pieces, then place in a fry pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring to prevent burning, until fully cooked.6 slices bacon
- Wash and slice pears, then toss in olive oil.4 pears, 2 tbs olive oil
- Place pears on a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure to spread out the pears so they aren’t overlapping.
- Sprinkle pears with salt, then broil on high for 10-15 minutes. Pears are done when they start to get brown spots.Salt
- Assemble your salad, adding blackberries, goat cheese, grilled pears, toasted pecans, bacon pieces, and leftover shallots from the dressing. Top with your Port dressing and enjoy!Goat Cheese, Blackberries, Mixed Greens with Arugula
For the dressing:
- In a medium saucepan combine Port with diced shallot. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.1 ½ cups Port, ½ large shallot
- Then strain the shallots, set aside, allow your Port to cool slightly.
- Then mix in olive oil and red wine vinegar to the Port.*¾ cup olive oil, ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- I like to put the dressing in a mansion jar so I can shake it to combine when I am ready to use.
- Refrigerate any leftover dressing, however this will solidify the olive oil. So, when you go to use the dressing again simple microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until it is warmed up again, in a microwave safe dish.
Post updated 12/21/2021, 7/15/2022