This chocolate pumpkin pie recipe is a delicious, indulgent spin on the classic pumpkin pie. Rich, chocolaty, and full of pumpkin flavor!
Chocolate and pumpkin are such an amazing combo, and having them together in pie form is amazing.
I recently shared my hands down favorite pumpkin pie recipe with you and now I am so excited to share this easy pumpkin pie recipe with a delicious chocolatey twist.
For more pies check out:
This chocolate pumpkin pie recipe is really easy to make, uses canned pumpkin, and is delicious every time.
How to make a graham cracker crust:
- In a food processor- or a ziplock baggie- crushe your graham crackers
- Combine crushed graham crackers, melted butter, sugar, and salt
- Press graham cracker mixture firmly into pie dish
How to make chocolate pumpkin pie:
- Melt your chocolate chips and butter in the microwave (use 50% power)
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer whisk your eggs.
- Once whisked add in the sugar, spices, canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, and melted chocolate
- Carefully pour the filling into the graham cracker crust
- Bake until the pie is set on the edges and still has a slight jiggle in the middle
- Let it cool to room temperature
Pumpkin Chocolate Pie- perfect for the holiday season!
Do you bake the crust first?
Yes! I love that this chocolate pumpkin pie has an easy graham cracker crust. Bake it for 15 minutes!
How to melt chocolate in the microwave?
In a microwave safe dish, combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until nice and smooth.
How do I know when my pie is done?
After 55 minutes (15 minutes at 425° and then 40 minutes at 350°) check to see if the top of the pie is a complete dome. If not- if there is still an indent in the center bake for another 2-3 minutes and check the pie again. Once the entire pie looks domed it is done baking!
When the pie cools to room temperature it will slowly sink back down.
Why did the top of the pie crack or split?
This typically has to do with the pie cooling too fast. If your house is pretty cold try letting the pie come to room temperature in the oven. Leave the oven door open or cracked. This way the pie will come to room temperature a little slower.
Do I need to refrigerate the chocolate pumpkin pie?
I recommend refrigerating the pie after it has cooled to room temperature.
How long will the chocolate pumpkin pie last?
Try to eat the pie with in 4-5 days of making it!
Want a traditional pie crust instead?
You can either use a store-bought pie crust or my flakey pie crust!
How to make pumpkin pie spice?
To make your own combine 4 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground cloves, and ½ tsp ground nutmeg. Then use 2tsp of this mixture for this pie and save the remaining spice mix in a sealed jar for other recipes (like pumpkin pie, pumpkin cupcakes, and sweet potato pie).
The hardest part of making this amazing pumpkin pie is waiting for it to cool!
What are your favorite pies to have for the holidays? Let me know in the comments below!
If you like this recipe check don’t miss:
- Mini Apple Cobbler Crumb Cakes
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
- White Chocolate Cheesecake
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Watch how to make this recipe!
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 13 graham crackers
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 6 tbs softened butter
- 1 tsp salt
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie filling
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsalted butter half a stick
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor* combine your graham crackers, brown sugar, softened butter, and salt until it looks like sand. (13 graham crackers, 3 tbs brown sugar, 6 tbs softened butter, 1 tsp salt)
- Firmly press the mixture into the pie dish, along the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven and set aside.
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 425°F and set the rack at the lowest position.
- In a microwave safe dish, combine semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until nice and smooth. * (1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¼ cup unsalted butter)
- In a medium bowl mix together sugar, cinnamon, salt and pumpkin pie spice. * (1/4 cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt)
- In a large bowl*, whisk the eggs until combined. Then add in your sugar/spice mixture, canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, and melted chocolate. Stirring until completely combined. (3 large eggs, 1 can pumpkin puree, and 1 can evaporated milk.
- Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425° then reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 40-50 more minutes. You want the edges of the pie to be set and the center to be slightly jiggly. The top of the pie will be a fill dome. If there is still an indent in the middle of the pie bake for another 2-3 minutes then check it again.
- Once done remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Post updated on 9/3/2020