Franks red hot buffalo chicken dip is an easy and delicious party staple! This fun and flavorful dip will be the hit of the party!
When it comes time for a party, watching a football game, or a summer potluck I love bringing this dip. I never go home leftovers!
What is buffalo dip made of?
- Shredded Chicken- you cook up chicken, use rotisserie, canned, or use up leftover!
- Cream Cheese- softened to room temp (you can microwave cream cheese unwrapped on microwave safe plate for 30 seconds on 50% power if it’s too hard).
- Cheddar Cheese
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Hot Sauce- I love using Frank’s Original or Franks Buffalo Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Chopped Green Onion
I love making this year-round but this dip is extra fun for the big football game every February! Previously I’ve shared sliders, chicken strips, and my favorite cookies but this year I had to share my take on Franks red hot buffalo dip!
In the past I’ve made Buffalo Caramel Corn using Franks hot sauce and it is amazing. Franks hot sauce is a staple for dipping nuggets, drumsticks, and smoked chicken in and it makes so much sense to make it into a dip!
Let’s talk chicken!
For this recipe I was given a box of chicken from Good Ranchers. I’ve used their steak for a tasty pasta dish and quesadillas, ground beef for the best Wagyu burgers, and chicken for these grilled chicken nuggets.
To say their meat is some of the absolute best I’ve ever had is an understatement. If you want to try their meat you can get yours here!
Just make sure to use code JOY at checkout for an extra $30 off!
Oh, and Good Ranchers meat is always sourced from American Ranchers plus they donate meals to those in need with every purchase. Pretty amazing!
Do you have to use chicken breast for this dip?
Nope. You can use canned, rotisserie, or even some leftover chicken!
I've used rotisserie chicken for lots of recipes like tacos and enchiladas- it works great in this dip too!
Rotisserie and freshly cooked chicken will be more flavorful than canned, but there will be so much extra flavor with all the dip ingredients you won’t notice if you use canned.
Which hot sauce should you use?
For this dip I love using either Frank’s Original Hot Sauce or Franks Buffalo Dip. Both are delicious.
If you have a different hot sauce that is a similar consistency to Frank’s then feel free to use that instead!
Original Recipe vs My Recipe
There are three differences between the original recipe and mine. The original uses Frank’s Original hot sauce and doesn’t include cheddar cheese or green onion.
My recipe uses the buffalo hot sauce and adds a little cheddar cheese and green onion.
You can’t go wrong with either version!
How to make Franks red hot buffalo chicken dip?
- Combine chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, hot sauce, and ranch dressing in a medium bowl.
- Transfer dip to a shallow baking dish.
- Bake until heated through then garnish with green onions.
Franks red hot buffalo chicken dip is so simple to make and tastes like tasty wings with every bite!
Pro Tip- If you want the top to get a little toasted, sprinkle a extra cheddar cheese on top and then broil for a few minutes.
What is good to dip in buffalo chicken dip?
I love to use a sturdy tortilla chip but carrots, celery, red bell pepper, potato chips, crackers, or toasted bread/crostini work great too!
How do I toast baguette slices?
To toast baguette slices simply slice the baguette into pieces and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Spray with a little bit of oil then broil on high for 3-5 minutes- but keep your eye on them!
They can go from perfectly toasted to burned in no time.
I recommend using Ritz or wheat thins.
Yes. You bake the dip until it is heated through and all the cheese is melted.
This happens if you use too much hot sauce or substituted the cream cheese or cheese for a low-fat version. Use full fat ingredients for the best outcome.
If your dip is too runny you can add more cream cheese or mix 1 tbs cornstarch with 1 tbs water in a small bowl then stir into the dip. That should thicken it up.
Yes. Place all ingredients in the crockpot and turn on medium or high. Stir occasionally.
Make sure to check out my smoked cream cheese, hot artichoke dip, spinach dip, jalapeno deviled eggs, and stuffed mushrooms for more fun party food!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Franks Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups Chicken cooked and shredded, ~10-12 oz*
- 8 oz Cream Cheese 1 package, softened*
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Blue Cheese Crumbles plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Franks Buffalo Hot Sauce you can use Franks Original instead
- ½ cup Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup Green Onions plus more for garnish
- Crackers Chips, or Veggies for dipping
- Cook chicken and shred.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, hot sauce, and ranch.8 oz Cream Cheese, ½ cup Franks Buffalo Hot Sauce, ½ cup Ranch Dressing
- Mix in chicken, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and green onion.½ cup Cheddar Cheese, ½ cup Blue Cheese Crumbles, ¼ cup Green Onions, 2 cups Chicken
- Transfer dip to a shallow small baking dish (a 1-quart dish works great). Bake for 20 minutes or until dip is heated through.
- Garnish with green onions, extra blue cheese, and enjoy with your favorite chips, crackers, or veggies!Crackers
- *You can use rotisserie, canned, or bake chicken for this recipe.
- How to bake chicken breasts: To bake chicken breasts, preheat oven to 450°F. Brush chicken breasts with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-20 minutes until and internal temperature of 165°F us reached. Allow chicken to cool enough to handle, then shred and use in this recipe.
- Soften Cream Cheese: If you are like me and forget to pull cream cheese out of the refrigerator to soften, simply unwrap the cream cheese, place on a microwave safe dish, microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Repeat until it is soft.
- To get a toasted top, sprinkle extra cheddar cheese on top after baking then broil for a few minutes.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate.
This is the best buffalo chicken dip I've ever had! Will be making again!