This better than Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is my go to easy, delicious, and chewy cookie recipe. It's easy to make and they come out perfect every time!
Chewy, soft, and lots of chocolate- these chewy chocolate chip cookies are the best! These cookies are a crowd pleaser!
The smell when they are baking are reason enough to make these! So delicious!
This is my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's been made, tasted, and approved time and again.
What makes these cookies better than the original Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie recipe?
This recipe adds an extra egg and a package of instant vanilla pudding to make the most tender and chewy chocolate chip cookies!
What is the secret to to making chewy cookies?
The secret to the chewiness is instant pudding mix! It's that simple!
Ingredients for Better than Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Large Eggs
- Baking Soda
- Instant Pudding- I recommend Vanilla or White Chocolate
- Chocolate Chips
How to make Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie recipe?
- Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla
- Add in the eggs one at a time
- Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and instant pudding mix
- Fold in the chocolate- I like to use a mixture of both chocolate chunks and chocolate chips
- Bake at 375°F for 8-11 minutes
I typically make somewhat small cookies but you can make them bigger if you like, just make sure to change the cooking bake them a little accordingly.
High Altitude Adjustments
What are the high-altitude adjustments for Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies Recipe?
Decrease white sugar to ⅔ cup, decrease brown sugar to ⅔ cup, increase flour to 2 ½ cups and add 2 teaspoon of water.
Can I make cookie dough ahead of time?
You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it. I like to roll the dough into balls, put them in a gallon ziploc baggie and stick them in the freezer.
You can just grab one or two from the freezer days or weeks later and then bake them up. They might take a few more minutes baking but they will taste just as good as if you had just made the dough!
What does pudding mix in cookies do?
Pudding mix makes the cookie chewy and soft on the inside.
Do I have to add instant pudding mix?
No, but to me it makes these the perfect cookie. Slightly chewy, thick, and soft.
Can you use cook and serve pudding instead of instant in cookies?
No, you must use instant pudding mix. Non-instant pudding mix will not work.
What type of pudding mix do you recommend?
Vanilla Instant Pudding and White Chocolate Instant Pudding have both worked great. If you use a chocolate pudding you will get something similar to my chocolate pudding cookies!
What is your favorite cookie? Have you ever tried freezing the dough? I’d love to know!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Better than Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 box vanilla or white chocolate instant pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 4 oz 60% baking chocolate*
- For high altitude instructions see recipe notes below.*
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand up mixer bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla. (1 cup butter, ¾ cup white sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla)1 cup butter softened, ¾ cup white sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add in eggs one at a time. Letting the first egg incorporate fully into the batter before adding the next. (2 eggs)2 eggs
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and instant pudding. Mix until fully combined. (2 ¼ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 3.4oz package instant pudding mix- vanilla or white chocolate flavor)2 ¼ cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 box vanilla or white chocolate instant pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- Roughly chop baking chocolate. (4 oz 60% baking chocolate)4 oz 60% baking chocolate*
- Fold in baking chocolate chunks and chocolate chips to cookie dough. (1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips)1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Drop rounded spoonfuls onto lined baking sheet and bake for 8-11 minutes. They are ready to come out when they are slightly browned on top.
- Let cookies cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
- *For high altitude decrease both sugars to only ⅔ cups and increase flour to 2 ½ cups plus two 2 teaspoon water.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Best consumed within a week for optimal freshness.
Post updated on 6/29/2022