Steak Quesadilla is a delicious snack or party food! Filled with tasty cheese, peppers, onions, and the best steak, you will make these all the time!
I love easy recipes that take little time and taste amazing. This steak quesadilla recipe checks all those boxes.
Ingredients You Will Need
Oil- for sautéing and a little to help brown the tortilla
Bell Pepper- Any color or a mix of colors
Onion- I like to use a yellow or white
Flour Tortillas- I like to use the 8-inch sized tortillas
Cheese- Cheddar and Pepper Jack
Olives- these are optional but so tasty!
Sometimes you have all the ingredients and sometime you have leftover veggies and meat that just need to be eaten up. Odds are what you have will make a delicious quesadilla!
Veggies- I love adding jalapenos, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes.
Cheese- Try adding different cheeses for a more complex flavor. Keep in mind not all cheese melts the same though!
Beans- Although I am not a bean (besides green beans yum!) It is very popular to add beans to quesadillas and if you enjoy that then more power to you!
Let’s talk steak.
For this recipe I was given a box of Good Ranchers meat. I shared my steak pasta using their flat iron steak and I knew I wanted to share another recipe highlighting this delicious meat.
Good Ranchers is a meat subscription that only sells meat sourced from American Ranchers. They also donate meals to those in need with every purchase.
It’s truly some of the best meat I’ve ever had. If you want to try it get your box here and use the code JOY at checkout for an extra $30 off.
For this recipe I am using top sirloin steak, but if you have any other steak that will work too. Just cook it up and cube it.
How to make steak quesadilla?
- Prep your ingredients. Thinly slice your bell pepper and onion. Chop up the steak and grate the cheese.
- Sauté the bell peppers and onion in a little oil until tender.
- Remove from pan, wipe out, then add a little more oil. Fold two tortillas in half and place in pan.
- Fill the tortillas with all the fillings, brown both sides, and allow the cheese to melt.
- Dip in your favorite salsa or guacamole and enjoy!
Pro Tip: If your veggies start to dry out add a little water to help keep them cooking without burning!
What goes with steak quesadilla?
Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or cilantro lime sauce all go great with steak quesadillas!
What tastes good in a quesadilla?
A mix of tender sweet veggies (like bell pepper and onion) along with a great cheese and flavorful steak makes a great quesadilla.
What is the best melting cheese for quesadillas?
A Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack will melt great. If you are able to find Queso Oaxaca that will melt great and taste delicious too.
These quesadillas are also a hit for parties. Make up a couple batches and serve along side some buffalo chicken dip, chicken lollipops, and buffalo caramel corn for the big game or your next dinner party!
How to make a large batch of quesadillas?
Bake the quesadillas on a foiled and lightly oiled sheet pan. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes to melt the cheese, then broil for another 1-2 minutes until they get golden brown. Just make sure to watch them carefully as they broil so you don’t burn them.
How to store quesadillas?
Store leftover steak quesadillas in the fridge in a airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 3 days.
How to freeze quesadillas?
Allow quesadillas to cool, then wrap each in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe container or baggie. Freeze up to 3-4 months.
How to reheat a quesadilla?
If frozen, thaw quesadilla in microwave heating for 30 seconds at a time.
Then reheat in a pan or in the oven. You can also go straight from frozen to the oven and bake them at 375°F until heated through, flipping halfway through baking. About 7 minutes each side.
Watch how to make this recipe!
- 1 cup steak cooked and chopped*
- 2 tbs oil divided
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 4 flour tortillas 8-inchs in diameter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese grated
- ¼ cup olives
- Cook steak then dice into cubes. *1 cup steak
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, add bell pepper and onion and sauté until soft, approximately 8 minutes. Cover with a lid to help the process. If peppers and onion become too dry add ¼ cup or more water to help continue sautéing without burning them.2 tbs oil, ½ yellow onion, 1 bell pepper
- Once tender, remove the bell pepper and onions and set aside. Wipe out the skillet, add ½ tbs oil and heat over medium heat. Fold tortillas in half then place two in the pan at a time. Stuff with cheese, steak, peppers, onion, and olives.4 flour tortillas, 1 cup cheddar cheese grated, 1 cup pepper jack cheese, ¼ cup olives
- Cook until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes each side. Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
- *You can use any type of steak for this recipe. I love a Flat Iron, NY Strip, Ribeye or even Tri Tip. Add a little oil into a pan and cook until an internal temp of 130°F is reached.
- *If you want to add some heat add fresh or pickled jalapenos or green chile to the quesadilla!