These tri tip tacos are a favorite at my house! Juicy tri tip in a delicious soft taco shell and topped with an amazing cilantro lime sauce!!! YUM!
Oven baked tri tip or smoked tri tip?
If I can I will smoke the tri tip but if need be I will bake it in the oven.
How to smoke a tri tip?
- Heat your smoker to 180-200°F
- Rub your tri tip with the seasonings
- Place in smoker and smoke until the temperature is 135°-140° (medium rare)
- Remove from smoker, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise and will reach ~145°F
Did you know Tri Tip is considered a California cut? It is gaining more and more popularity in the US but the cut (also known as Bottom Sirloin Tip and Santa Maria Cut) originated in Santa Maria, CA in the 1950’s.
Growing up in CA I ate tri tip all the time, but when I moved to NM no one had heard of it. Thankfully I am able to find the cut at my local grocery store and share the tri tip love with my friends and family here in NM! I love to cook up a tri tip and then make leftover tri tip tacos out of it! YUM!
A delicious Tri Tip Taco Recipe!
Top these tri tip tacos with this easy to make cilantro lime sauce!
Tri Tip Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
For the Tri Tip
- 1 tri tip ~2lbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
Cilantro Lime Sauce- link to sauce in instructions below!
- 24 soft tortillas
- 2 tsp oil or butter
- Limes- for garnish
How to make tri tip tacos:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine the seasonings to make a rub and rub all over the tri tip.
- Place tri tip in an oven safe baking dish and bake for 25 minutes (or until internal temp reaches at least 135°F medium rare).
- While tri tip is baking, make the cilantro lime sauce!
- Remove the tri tip from the oven, cover with foil, and allow it to sit for 15 minutes before cutting in. The internal temperature will continue to rise during this time.
- While the meat is resting heat up your tortillas. I like to add a little bit of oil or butter to a skillet, heat it, then let the flour tortillas heat up and brown a little.
- After 10 minutes of resting, cut the trip into pieces.
- Top with cilantro lime sauce and enjoy!