A simple and delicious potato taco recipe. Easy to make with only 2 required ingredients, a few spices, and then your favorite toppings! Give this potato taco recipe a try for your next Taco Night!
Most of the time I love a good meat filled taco, like my tri tip tacos, carnitas tacos, or my shrimp tacos, but these potato tacos are seriously so good I don’t miss the meat- and you won’t either!
In high school I had a really good friend who always had me over, her and her family were Mexican, and her mom didn’t speak any English. Whenever I would visit her mom was always so kind and always gave me so much food to eat!
I think it was her way of communicating that I was welcomed there. That is where I first tasted potato tacos.
I just remember thinking that they were so good and so simple- how had I never tried them before! Her recipe used potatoes that were baked or boiled and then mashed, where as this recipe is for cubed potatoes, but either way you eat them, these tacos are delicious!
With all the toppings it’s like eating twice baked potato tacos!
Potato Tacos are easy to make and oh so delicious!
How to make potato tacos:
- Skin and cube potatoes.
- Fry in olive oil in a large fry pan until all golden brown and cooked through.
- Fry up tortillas.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, and green onion!
These are vegetarian tacos by default, but leave off the sour cream and cheese and top with my easy green salsa and these become vegan tacos easily!
What are your favorite types of tacos? Do they typically have meat or are they filled with something else? Let me know in the comments below!
If you like this recipe, check out all my taco recipe at the Taco Table! You’ll find delicious street tacos, cilantro lime sauce, smoked chicken tacos, and even breakfast tacos!
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER & SIGN UP FOR MY EMAIL NEWSLETTER!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 large russet potatoes rinsed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt*
- 2 teaspoon pepper*
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder*
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- Sour Cream optional
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese optional
- Green Onion for garnish
- Rinse and peel the potatoes. * Then dice potatoes into ½ inch cubes.
- In a large fry pan heat oil over medium heat. Add potatoes and all the seasoning. Stir so potatoes are evenly covered in seasoning.
- Let potatoes cook for about 15 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a fork. You will want to flip the potatoes every 3-4 minutes so they get a nice golden brown on all sides. I also recommend covering the pan with a lid to help speed up the cooking time.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, fry up your corn tortillas, chop your green onions, and build your tacos.
- I like to fill with the potatoes then add shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions. Makes the taco taste like a twice baked potato.
I added a little sauted onion and mushrooms. Very tasty.
Oh that sounds delicious! So glad you like them!