These fun and easy snowball cupcakes are perfect for the holiday season! Delicious buttercream on a perfect cupcake- all made to look like snowballs!
I wanted to come up with a super easy and yet festive cupcake for the holiday season. Not everyone has piping tips and the time to make something fancy- that’s where these snowball cupcakes come into play!
How to make snowball cupcakes:
- Simply make a batch of cupcakes out of my easy white cake mix, candy cane cupcakes, or chocolate cupcakes.
- Whip up 2 batches of my easy vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out a rounded ball of frosting and then plop it on top of the cupcake. (affiliate link)
- Finish with sprinkling on some powdered sugar or edible glitter and there you go!
The amount of frosting on these is pretty epic! That’s why I recommend making two batches of frosting since it takes quite a bit to make them look like snowballs!
These are just one way to make a festive holiday cupcake that isn’t crazy complicated and won’t break the bank in decorating add-ons.
Also- I love the look of using an ice cream scoop to plop a big beautiful mound of frosting on a cupcake. It just looks amazing!
Top that with some powdered sugar and you have yourself an easy holiday cupcake!
What kind of cupcake mix should you use?
I used a boxed white cake mix and doctored it up a bit. That being said you can use your favorite cupcake recipes.
How to make a box cake taste homemade?
Easy! Simply add in some heavy cream, an extra egg and some extra vanilla extract!
What size ice cream scoop size should you use?
I used a 2 inch cookie scoop like this one because it covered the entire cupcake. I do recommend using a cookie scoop with a releasing lever so you can get the frosting out of the scoop into a round shape easily.
How many cupcakes does a box make?
This recipe will make 24 cupcakes.
How do I store the cupcakes?
Any leftover cupcakes store in an airtight container in the fridge. I have a few really large tupperware containers that hold cupcakes nicely. That’s what I use.
If you like this recipe make sure to check out my other fun Holiday food!
- Snowman Truffles
- Sugared Cranberries
- Holiday Coke-tail
- Hidden Mickey Christmas Cupcakes
- Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Marshmallow Wands
- Whip up my easy and delicious but bake it into cupcakes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Mix up two batches of my easy vanilla buttercream. You can add in 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract for a peppermint flavor if you want.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out some frosting and then place the whole scooped amount on top of your cupcake.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- You can make any cupcakes but I prefer white ones to keep with the snowball theme
- Use a 2 inch cookie scoop with release lever for optimal snowball
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Post updated 12/7/2020