The perfect Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies, chewy, chocolaty, and full of delicious walnuts. These cookies come together quickly and are perfect so satisfy your cookie needs!
These cookies are a spin off of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that includes a special ingredient to make them extra good: instant pudding mix.
Instant pudding mix is the “secret” ingredient to make cookies perfectly chewy and soft while still having a slightly crunchy exterior.
That with the walnuts and chocolate chips and you have an amazing cookie if I do say so myself. And, well, I do.
How to make walnut chocolate chip cookies?
- Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla
- Add in the eggs one at a time
- Add in the flour, vanilla instant pudding mix, salt, and baking soda
- Fold in the chocolate and chopped walnuts
- Bake at 375°F for 8-11 minutes
When are chocolate chip walnut cookies are done?
The cookie are done when they are lightly browned on top.
What kind of instant pudding mix should you use?
I love using instant vanilla pudding mix. You can try a butterscotch or even chocolate for a tasty spin (like I do here in my double chocolate pudding cookies).
Make sure to add the pudding mix straight from the box and not as pudding.
What kind of chocolate should you use?
Most of the time I will use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If I want big chunks of chocolate I will substitute ½ cup of chocolate chips for 4 oz of chopped semi sweet chocolate bar.
Either way you make it these are full of chocolaty goodness!
Can you freeze chocolate chip walnut cookie dough?
Yes. I like to make the dough and then scoop into balls.
Place the dough balls in a zip lock baggie and freeze for up to a month.
How to bake frozen cookie dough?
You can thaw the dough in the fridge overnight and bake like normal, or bake frozen by increasing the bake time by only a minute or two.
How to store cookies?
Store baked cookies in an airtight container or ziplock baggie.
Cookies are best eaten within 3-4 days.
Do you have to use walnuts in these cookies?
Nope. You can leave the nuts out completely or substitute other nuts!
Any way you make them these cookies are amazing!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 box box instant vanilla pudding 3.4 oz box
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For high altitude adjustments see notes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a stand-up mixer bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla.1 cup butter, ¾ cup white sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add in eggs one at a time. Letting the first egg incorporate fully into the batter before adding the next.2 eggs
- Add in the flour, instant pudding mix, baking soda, and salt. Mix until fully combined.2 ¼ cups flour, 1 box box instant vanilla pudding, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts to cookie dough.2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*, 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes. They will be slightly browned on top.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack and allow to cool.
- * Sometimes I substitute ½ cup of chocolate chips for 4oz of chopped semi sweet baking. If you want chunks of chocolate, you can do that too.
- *For high altitude decrease both sugars to only ⅔ cups and increase flour to 2 ½ cups plus two 2 teaspoon water.
- Nutrition is calculated without instant pudding added.