Garlic Herb Butter is easy to make and elevates all your butter needs. Perfect for a tasty dinner or a holiday feast, whip this together in no time.
I’ve used this recipe for everything from simple dinner rolls to putting on my holiday turkey. It is so flavorful and so easy to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ingredients for Garlic Herb Butter:
Butter- I use unsalted, if you use salted omit the salt in the recipe- use room temperature butter!
Garlic- Love using fresh garlic, but you can use powdered if that’s what you have.
Herbs- I used fresh for this recipe but have used dried in the past.
Salt and Pepper
What to use garlic herb butter on?
There are so many ways to use this butter!
How to make garlic herb butter?
- Place butter in a bowl and allow to come to room temperature
- Rinse and dry your herbs
- Chop herbs and add to softened butter
- Mince or Grate or Press your garlic and add to butter along with salt and pepper
- Stir everything together and enjoy
What's the best tool for chopping garlic?
What herb goes well with garlic?
Rosemary, thyme, and sage are all greats herbs paired with garlic.
How long does garlic infused butter last?
If refrigerated ~1.5-2 weeks. If frozen ~6 weeks. After such the flavors of the fresh herbs and garlic tend to fade a bit.
What does garlic butter contain?
Garlic, butter, herbs, and a little salt and pepper. Couldn’t ask for anything simpler!
Can you use dried herbs and powdered garlic instead of fresh?
Yep! Just substitute the herbs 1:1 with dried herbs and garlic with ½ teaspoon for every clove (so 4tsps). The only difference is that the dried herbs won’t be as vibrant in the butter.
How remove thyme leaves from stem?
Pinch the stem between thumb and forefingers. Then slide fingers up the stem removing the leaves.
How to remove rosemary leaves from stem?
Separate the leaves from the stem. Pinch off leaves at the base.
This herb butter is so easy to make and so versatile. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Garlic Herb Butter
- 1 cup butter softened to room temperature*
- 1 ½ tbs rosemary fresh or dried*
- 1 ½ tbs thyme fresh or dried*
- 6 cloves garlic minced, pressed, or grated*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl allow butter to come to room temperature. *1 cup butter softened to room temperature*
- Rinse and dry your fresh rosemary and fresh thyme. Then mince both. If using dried seasonings, you will still want to mince both so you don’t have large hard seasonings in your butter. Add to butter.1 ½ tbs rosemary, 1 ½ tbs thyme
- Using a garlic press, or microplane zester*, press or grate your garlic (you can also mince with knife if you prefer). Add to butter.6 cloves garlic
- Add salt and pepper to butter, and mix everything together.½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt
- * If you are using unsalted butter add 1 ½ teaspoon salt with the herbs.
- *How to soften butter fast? Place cold butter in a microwave safe dish and microwave at 30% for 15 second intervals until soft.
- *I love this garlic press and this zester.
- *If you want to use powdered garlic instead of fresh add 4 tsps of garlic powder instead of the 8 cloves.
- *Add a little sage and this is what I use on my herb butter turkey, or use as is on hot rolls!
- Leftover butter?
I recommend putting butter in a sealed container and refrigerating until ready to eat. It should stay good for 2 weeks refrigerated or 2 months in the freezer.
- Can you freeze garlic herb butter?
Yes! Mix this up and freeze for 2 months! Then let come to room temperature before eating.