Homemade Coleslaw with Broccoli is the perfect summer side dish. Fresh, crunchy, and full of flavor- this is the tastiest and easiest coleslaw ever!
Coleslaw is one of those summer dinner staples that everyone loves. It can be made a variety of way with a number of different ingredients.
Some like it with a mayo dressing, others like it with more of a vinaigrette. Some like it sweetened, soaking in the dress, and yet others like just a tiny bit of dressing.
Regardless of how you like your slaw I hope you give my take on this recipe a try.
For more tasty side dishes check out:
Why I love this coleslaw with broccoli recipe:
- Requires only a few ingredients
- There is no sugar in the dressing- I like to save sugar for my desserts!
- It is fresh and flavorful
- The added broccoli slaw makes it extra crunchy
- Lastly, I use pre-cut slaw mixes which are cheap, save a lot of time on cutting, and there is no leftover lettuce that goes to waste
What ingredients do you need?
- Mayo- Try my homemade mayo for extra creamy richness or use store bought 😊 both will be delicious
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard- this is my favorite type of mustard to use but if you have a different kind, it will work too
- Celery Seeds- pick these up in the spice area at your grocery store
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 bag of tricolor slaw mix
- 1 bag broccoli slaw mix
- Parsley- the fresh flavor parsley adds is amazing!
This recipe makes a lot. Mixing two bags of precut slaw together results in about 15 cups of delicious homemade coleslaw.
The slaw is so good that I make that for just my family and we eat it in a few days. However, this would be the perfect about to bring to a BQQ or a picnic at the lake where there will be a lot of people.
The bright freshness of this side dish is so delicious you’ll understand why I love it so much!
How to make broccoli slaw:
- Mix up the dressing by combining the mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and chop the parsley.
- In a large bowl combine both types of slaw, the dressing, and the chopped parsley.
- Chill for a few hours and then enjoy!
Best Tips for Success
#1: Add only ¼ cup parsley to begin with, taste, then add more if you want. Parsley can quickly over power the other flavors and we don’t want that!
#2: Want to save extra time? Mix up the dressing a few days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Then when ready to make the slaw just add to the slaw mix!
#3: Refrigerating for a few hours before eating allows the flavors to combine nicely.
#4: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Broccoli Coleslaw FAQs
Do I have to use prepackaged slaw mix?
Nope. You can slice your one. If you want to cut your own, I recommend a mixture of green cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli, and carrots.
What is broccoli slaw made of?
I use a mixture of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and add a mayo dressing.
Can I make coleslaw ahead of time?
I recommend making the dressing a day or two in advance and then adding it to the slaw mix the day you want to serve it.
How long does broccoli slaw last?
2-3 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
What do you eat with coleslaw?
I hope you love this homemade broccoli coleslaw recipe just as much as I do!
Check out my latest posts here:
- How to tell if broccoli is bad?
- How long does smoked salmon last?
- How to tell if buttermilk is bad?
- How to Chop Parsley
- Tri Tip Marinade
Watch how to make this recipe!
Homemade Coleslaw with Broccoli
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise try my homemade mayo recipe!
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 package tricolor slaw mix 16 oz
- 1 package broccoli slaw mix 16 oz
- ¼ - ½ cup parsley chopped
- Mix mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. (1 ½ cup mayo, 3 tbs apple cider vinegar, 3 tbs Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon celery seeds, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper)
- In a large bowl add both slaw packages, chopped parsley and the dressing. Stir until fully mixed. (1 package tri-colored slaw mix, 1 package broccoli slaw mix, ¼ cup chopped parsley)
- Can be eaten right away but allowing it to sit refrigerated for 1-2 hours is best.
- Parsley can easily over power any other flavors which is why I recommend adding only ¼ cup and taste testing before adding more.
- Best eaten the same day but will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Find out here how to tell if broccoli is bad and how to freeze broccoli.
Post updated on 12/20/21