Homemade Coleslaw with Broccoli is the perfect summer side dish. Fresh, crunchy, and full of flavor- this is the tastiest and easiest coleslaw ever!
Coleslaw is one of those summer dinner staples that everyone loves. It can be made a variety of way with a number of different ingredients.
Some like it with a mayo dressing, others like it with more of a vinaigrette. Some like it sweetened, soaking in the dress, and yet others like just a tiny bit of dressing.
Regardless of how you like your slaw I hope you give my take on this recipe a try.
For more tasty side dishes check out:
Why I love this coleslaw with broccoli recipe:
- Requires only a few ingredients
- There is no sugar in the dressing- I like to save sugar for my desserts!
- It is fresh and flavorful
- The added broccoli slaw makes it extra crunchy
- Lastly, I use pre-cut slaw mixes which are cheap, save a lot of time on cutting, and there is no leftover lettuce that goes to waste
What ingredients do you need?
- Mayo- Try my homemade mayo for extra creamy richness or use store bought 😊 both will be delicious
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard- this is my favorite type of mustard to use but if you have a different kind, it will work too
- Celery Seeds- pick these up in the spice area at your grocery store
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 bag of tricolor slaw mix
- 1 bag broccoli slaw mix
- Parsley- the fresh flavor parsley adds is amazing!
This recipe makes a lot. Mixing two bags of precut slaw together results in about 15 cups of delicious homemade coleslaw.
The slaw is so good that I make that for just my family and we eat it in a few days. However, this would be the perfect about to bring to a BQQ or a picnic at the lake where there will be a lot of people.
The bright freshness of this side dish is so delicious you’ll understand why I love it so much!
How to make broccoli slaw:
- Mix up the dressing by combining the mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and chop the parsley.
- In a large bowl combine both types of slaw, the dressing, and the chopped parsley.
- Chill for a few hours and then enjoy!
Best Tips for Success
#1: Add only ¼ cup parsley to begin with, taste, then add more if you want. Parsley can quickly over power the other flavors and we don’t want that!
#2: Want to save extra time? Mix up the dressing a few days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Then when ready to make the slaw just add to the slaw mix!
#3: Refrigerating for a few hours before eating allows the flavors to combine nicely.
#4: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Broccoli Coleslaw FAQs
Do I have to use prepackaged slaw mix?
Nope. You can slice your one. If you want to cut your own, I recommend a mixture of green cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli, and carrots.
What is broccoli slaw made of?
I use a mixture of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and add a mayo dressing.
Can I make coleslaw ahead of time?
I recommend making the dressing a day or two in advance and then adding it to the slaw mix the day you want to serve it.
How long does broccoli slaw last?
2-3 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
What do you eat with coleslaw?
I recommend smoked chicken, tri tip, chicken strips, chicken salad or hamburgers. Serve with some fresh lemonade and baked brie!
I hope you love this homemade broccoli coleslaw recipe just as much as I do!
Check out my latest posts here:
- Cowboy Candy
- Toll House Pie
- Red White and Blue Cake
- 4th of July Cake
- Red White and Blue Cheesecake Salad
Watch how to make this recipe!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Homemade Coleslaw with Broccoli
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise try my homemade mayo recipe!
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 package tricolor slaw mix 16 oz
- 1 package broccoli slaw mix 16 oz
- ¼ - ½ cup parsley chopped
- Mix mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. (1 ½ cup mayo, 3 tbs apple cider vinegar, 3 tbs Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon celery seeds, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper)
- In a large bowl add both slaw packages, chopped parsley and the dressing. Stir until fully mixed. (1 package tri-colored slaw mix, 1 package broccoli slaw mix, ¼ cup chopped parsley)
- Can be eaten right away but allowing it to sit refrigerated for 1-2 hours is best.
- Parsley can easily over power any other flavors which is why I recommend adding only ¼ cup and taste testing before adding more.
- Best eaten the same day but will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Find out here how to tell if broccoli is bad and how to freeze broccoli.
Post updated on 12/20/21
Leave a Reply