I love a good sweet potato breakfast skillet! This egg sweet potato hash is full of tasty sweet potatoes, eggs, cheese, bacon, lots of flavor!
So good and NO Baking!
A one skillet breakfast dish is always a great way to go. Full of tasty ingredients that you will want to make over and over again!
For this recipe there is no baking. Some skillet recipes require you to put the pan in the oven and bake until the eggs are done- but not this one!
I wanted to avoid that and so we just use a pan with a lid and cook the eggs over heat. Easy Peasy!
- Sweet Potatoes- I like to use the red but any variety (purple or white!) works too.
- Green Onion
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Paprika, Salt, and Pepper
How to make sweet potato hash with eggs?
- Cut your bacon into small pieces then cook. If you have leftover bacon from another dish you can skip this step and use it instead. Just use oil in lieu of the bacon grease for sautéing.
- Once bacon is cooked remove from the pan, leaving the remaining bacon grease. Add chopped onions and cook until soft.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes, stir to coat with bacon grease, add a little water to the pan, then cover and cook until cooked through.
- Once cooked mix in your jalapeno and spices.
- Make 4 little wells in the potatoes then crack your eggs into them. Sprinkle eggs with more salt and pepper, sprinkle with cheese and cooked bacon.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the eggs until done to your liking.
- Top with some green onions and enjoy!
Tips for making egg sweet potato hash:
- You can use russet potatoes in lieu of sweet potatoes if you want.
- Adding water to the pan helps cook the potatoes.
- You know your potatoes are fully cooked when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Top this dish with your favorite salsa or green chile!
Is sweet potato good for breakfast?
Absolutely. They are a great carb with lots of vitamins!
What to serve with sweet potato hash?
What else can you use sweet potatoes for?
Watch how to make this recipe!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
- 6 slices bacon cut into pieces
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 jalapeno diced, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper each
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup cheese
- Garnish with 2 green onions optional
- Cut your bacon in to small pieces. In a large skillet or fry pan cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Once cooked, remove from skillet and set aside, leaving the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add chopped onions to skillet and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. They will start to soften.
- Then add your cubed sweet potatoes, stirring to coat with the bacon grease. Then add water to the skillet, cover and cook over medium heat until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Typically, 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, add in diced jalapeno, garlic powder, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using a spatula, make four wells in the potatoes, scraping everything away to reveal the bottom of the skillet.
- Crack and egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and cooked bacon over the skillet then cover with the lid.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until eggs whites are cooked through and the yolk is as runny or firm as you like it. I recommend checking at 3 minutes then every minute after until eggs are done to your likeness.
Post and recipe were updated on 12/20/2021