These Halloween popcorn balls are easy to make, fun for parties and kids love them! Use your favorite Halloween colored candy and sprinkles for a hauntingly fun treat!
You all know I love Halloween. It is so fun to dress up, hand out candy (or get candy!), and I love making all the fun Halloween treats- especially these popcorn balls!
Don’t miss these other tasty Halloween treats!
One of my favorite treats to make are these Halloween Popcorn Balls. They are the perfect combo of salty and sweet, plus they are bright green and filled with Halloween candy and sprinkles- perfect for Halloween.
These popcorn balls with marshmallow are a fun and easy recipe to make with kids. Plus, they are perfect for a fun Halloween party!
These aren’t your typical Halloween popcorn balls at Walmart- these are fresh and gooey and sooo delicious. Nothing against buying popcorn balls but freshly made is so good you will never want to go back.
Plus, they are so easy to make that buying premade isn’t even worth it.
How to make Halloween Popcorn Balls:
- Pop popcorn and remove kernels
- Melt butter and marshmallows then stir in food coloring
- Stir popcorn and marshmallows together
- Stir in M&Ms and sprinkles
- Roll into balls then add more sprinkles
- Let cool and enjoy!
How to easily remove kernels from popcorn?
If you place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet then pour the popcorn over it, the kernels will fall through the cooling rack leaving you with just the popcorn. It’s that easy!
What type of food coloring should you use?
I recommend the gel food coloring. You can find this at most grocery store in the cake decorating aisle. Popular crafts store will also have them in their cake decorating aisle.
Gel tends to mix better in to things and are much more vibrant.
How many popcorn balls does this recipe make?
That depends on how big you make the balls.
If you make small mandarin sized popcorn balls- you can get 20 or more.
I like to make medium sized popcorn balls which result in 12-15.
The popcorn balls aren’t sticking together.
This happens because the marshmallow hasn’t set up/cooled enough. I like to shape a few popcorn balls then go back and repress the first few I made.
Sometimes I have to repress the popcorn balls several times- until the marshmallow is set up enough.
Feel free to add other fun Halloween candy- like caramel corn, or mini pumpkins- to the popcorn!
How to store popcorn balls?
Keep popcorn balls in an airtight container. You don’t need to refrigerate.
Eat within a week of making for the freshest popcorn taste.
For more fun Halloween treats don’t miss:
Watch how to make this recipe!
Halloween Popcorn Balls
- 2 envelopes of microwave popcorn popped
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup butter
- Neon Green Food Coloring Gel
- 1½ cups M&M’s – Halloween colors
- Halloween Sprinkles
- Pop popcorn then remove any unpopped kernels. I like to pour the popcorn over a cooling rack which lets the kernels fall through. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spray an extra-large mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray, and add popcorn.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt marshmallows and butter, stirring constantly until melted.
- When melted add in 2-3 drops of neon green food coloring and stir thoroughly. Add more coloring if needed.
- Pour over popcorn and stir with a rubber spatula until popcorn is completely coated.
- Add M&M’s and sprinkles, stir to distribute evenly. Spray hands with cooking spray and shape into balls- as big or little as you want them to be. If your hands start to get sticky just respray them.
- Once formed roll in more sprinkles. Place on parchment lined baking sheets until cool and set up. You may need to go back and reshape them every few minutes until they set up completely.
Recipe adapted from Potluck Perfect, ©2018 by Courtney Lynn reprinted by permission.
Post updated 10/3/2020