These piñata cupcakes are so much fun! Packed with colorful sprinkles and topped with a delicious and colorful buttercream, you can’t go wrong!
These cupcakes are inspired by Hearthstone’s card Weaponized Piñata from the Boomsday expansion! An awesome card that has now turned into awesome cupcakes!
This recipe is part of my full Hearthstone Menu! Check it out and find other delicious recipes like Juicy Psychmelon Slushie, Nat Pagel’s Catch of the Day (Salmon with a mango salsa!), Easy Innkeeper’s Bread, and Devilsaur Egg Breakfast Tacos! If you aren’t familiar with Hearthstone you can read all about this fun online card game here!
These piñata cupcakes may not be weaponized, but they will make you a Legend at any party you bring them too! (See what I did there… 😛 )
Who doesn’t love a delicious chocolate cupcake filled with sprinkles!
How to make piñata cupcakes:
- Whip up a batch of my easy chocolate cupcakes or my from scratch chocolate cupcakes, and let them cool.
- Fill with sprinkles by scooping out some of the center and then spooning in the sprinkles
- Make a batch of my delicious buttercream frosting, divide it into five bowls and color each bowl of frosting.
- Pipe on the frosting and enjoy!
I’ve been making surprise cupcakes for a while now. They are so fun and can be filled with not only sprinkles but candy too. Make them for birthday’s or holidays or whatever get together you want! I personally love to bring them to a Hearthstone Fireside Gathering!
These cupcakes are part of a fun event called #CupcakeMondays! This is where I and several other bloggers come up with cupcakes and all share them on the same Monday of the month! Super fun! Lat month I shared my Salted Caramel Cupcakes and this month it’s these fun Piñata Cupcakes! Check out the awesome cupcakes linked below and don’t forget to check out the hashtag on Instagram. You’re in for a serious treat!
Brown Sugar Toffee Cupcakes from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
Chocolate Cherry Chip Cupcakes from Love in My Oven
Mojito Cupcakes from Nourish and Fete
Chocolate Banana Cupcakes from The Itsy-Bitsy Kitchen
Weaponized Piñata Cupcakes
- 1 batch of easy chocolate cupcakes- linked in instructions
- 1 batch of the best buttercream frosting- linked below
- Neon Food Gel, orange, yellow green, blue, and purple
- Sprinkles- lots! buy at least 10 oz
- 5 Piping Bags*
- Piping Tip- Wilton 103*
- 5 Piping Tip Couplers*
- Make up a batch of my super easy and delicious chocolate cupcakes and let them cool completely.
- Once cooled, scoop out a spoonful from the middle of the cupcake. Then fill with sprinkles. Since these are piñata cupcakes, I like to really pack them full, so you get the fun piñata breaking effect when you bite into them.
- Then whip up a batch of my easy buttercream and divide the frosting equally into 5 bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl, make one orange, one yellow, one green, one blue, and one purple. Place each color in a piping bag fitted with a piping coupler or see notes below if you don’t want to use a piping tip.
- Pipe on each color of frosting, making short lines, then layer on the next color. I started with purple and then layered on blue green, yellow, and orange.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes until ready to eat! Enjoy!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out my other cupcake recipes!
Hearthstone Card Image from Gamepedia
©2014 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Hearthstone is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Blizzard Entertainment is a trademark or registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.
Thank you Hearthstone for some of the fun items given to me for my pictures!