This simple homemade peppermint bark recipe will be a hit at any holiday gathering! White chocolate, chocolate, and peppermint – the perfect dessert!
Have you ever thought making peppermint bark was too difficult or you just didn’t know how it was made? Maybe you knew it was melted chocolate but was there something else to it?
That was me a few years ago. Then I sat down and figured out how to make it- and you know what?
Homemade peppermint bark is one of the easiest desserts to make. Ever.
This peppermint bark recipe is so easy and so delicious!
How do you make peppermint bark?
- Melt chocolate and stir in some peppermint extract
- Spread onto foil lined baking sheet and let harden for a few minutes
- Melt white chocolate and gently smooth over the still soft chocolate
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint
- Let harden
Seriously so simple and so delicious!
What time of chocolate should you use?
You can use chocolate chips, chocolate candy melts, or ghirardelli chocolate.
Tips for the best peppermint bark
- Start with adding a little peppermint extract and taste the chocolate before adding more
- Gently add pour and smooth the melted white chocolate over the chocolate so you don't mix the layers
- If you add the white chocolate after the chocolate layer has set up too much the layers might separate when cutting.
This is some of the best peppermint bark around!
I love that you can even just make white chocolate peppermint bark or chocolate peppermint bark if layering them isn’t your thing.
How long does homemade peppermint bark last?
Up to two weeks if stored in an airtight container.
This peppermint bark is a great homemade gift too!
How do you make peppermint bark in the microwave?
To melt the chocolate (white or regular) turn your microwave to 50% power. Microwave your chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval. This will only take a few minutes total depending on how much chocolate you are melting.
Then spread the chocolate in a baking sheet and let harden! Easy as that!
An easy and delicious Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Recipe!
The is bark recipe makes a lot! So be prepared to share it or eat it all… I’m okay with either choice!
I had to send a lot of it to work with my husband so I wouldn’t eat it all!
If you like this recipe make sure to check out my other holiday desserts! They include my easy sugared cranberries, snowball cupcakes, chocolate truffles, and candy cane cupcakes! Oh, and this pretty and really easy Holiday cake!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Homemade Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 4 candy canes crushed
- 1 lbs Ghirardelli white chocolate
- 1 lb Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ - 1 teaspoon peppermint extract*
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Turn your microwave to 50% power and microwave your semi-sweet chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval.
- When chocolate is fully melted, add in peppermint extract and stir until combined.
- Pour chocolate onto lined baking sheet and use a rubber spatula/offset spatula to smooth it out into an even layer.
- Melt white chocolate in the same manner as you melted the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Then carefully spread white chocolate into an even layer over the semi-sweet being making sure it doesn’t mix with that layer.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint refrigerate until hardened (at least 30 minutes).
- Using a sharp knife cut into bite size pieces or break it by hand
- *I would taste the chocolate as you add peppermint extract so you know when to stop adding extract but be warned if you add too much not only with the flavor be overwhelming but the water in the extract might cause your chocolate to seize and ruin the chocolate.
- You can make just white chocolate peppermint bark or just semi-sweet chocolate bark- just don't layer the two chocolates
- If you let the semi-sweet layer sets up too much before adding the white chocolate it might cause the two layers to separate when cutting.
- You can use chocolate chips, chocolate melts, or ghirardelli chocolate squares
This recipe was so delicious, definitely making it again!
Thanks! So glad you like it! It's one of my favorites!
My Favorite Holiday Treat!
Yay! It's a fav of mine too!