Easy Gingerbread Trifle is layers of tender gingerbread cake, eggnog, and white chocolate pudding. This delicious dessert is easy to make and will quickly become a holiday favorite!
Using my favorite, tried and true, gingerbread cake recipe, you will have the best gingerbread trifle on the block!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Trifles are so pretty and I love how easy they are! Last year I shared my Christmas Brownie Trifle and now I wanted to share this delicious gingerbread trifle!
For this recipe I use my homemade gingerbread cake. However, if you want to use a gingerbread boxed cake mix go for it.
You can even doctor the cake mix to be extra delicious adding an extra egg, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ¾ cups sour cream, and ¾ cups heavy cream in addition to what the ginger bread cake box requires for baking.
Then bake according to my instructions and it will be our secret!
What you need for Gingerbread Trifle:
With only a handful of ingredients you can make this delicious dessert!
- Gingerbread cake cut up into cubes
- Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
- White Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- Whipped Topping- like cool whip or a similar brand
- Trifle Dish- here is one similar to mine that I love! (affiliate)
If you don’t have a trifle dish you can use individual glasses or mason jars! Just layer them the same way but on a smaller scale.
How to make gingerbread trifle?
- Once you’ve baked your gingerbread cake (for more in-depth cake info see my gingerbread bundt cake recipe), allow it to cool completely, then cut into cubes.
- Mix up your two puddings and chill until ready to use.
- Assemble the trifle by placing a layer of cake on the bottom, followed by a layer of eggnog pudding, then a layer of white chocolate pudding.
- Repeat two more times, then top the dessert with remaining whipped topping and leftover gingerbread cake.
It’s such a simple dessert but it’s also quite the show stopper!
How to layer trifle?
- Start with a later of gingerbread cake cubes
- Add a layer of Eggnog Pudding Fluff
- Add a layer of White Chocolate Pudding
- Repeat 2 more times
- Top with remaining whipped topping, gingerbread cubes, rosemary and cranberries
Tips Not To Miss!
- If you want to use pie spice instead of all the different spices just substitute in 3 teaspoon pie spice in lieu of the cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Make sure your cake is completely cooled before cutting. This will help it from breaking into crumbs.
- When assembling the trifle try to get a nice layer of each item fully against the side of the dish. This will make each layer stand out more.
- Whip up some sugared cranberries for a fun additional decoration!
Gingerbread is such a fun treat around the holidays!
You can’t go wrong with the tasty combo of eggnog, white chocolate, and gingerbread! If that isn’t what Christmas tastes like I don’t know what does!
Watch how to make this recipe!
Easy Gingerbread Trifle
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon*
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter*
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup molasses- unsulphered*
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup hot water
Eggnog Pudding Fluff
- Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix 3.3 oz box
- 2 cups cold Eggnog
- 16 oz Whipped Topping Divided (I use cool whip)
White Chocolate Instant Pudding
- White Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix 3.3 oz box
- 2 cups cold milk whole or 2%
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 13 pan..
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.2 ½ cups flour, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon*, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cloves, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.½ cup unsalted butter*, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Stir in the molasses and egg.1 cup molasses- unsulphered*, 1 large egg
- Stir in the flour mixture until fully combined.
- While stirring, slowly pour in the hot water and mix until combined.1 cup hot water
- Pour batter into prepared sheet pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely then cut up into large cubes. If you are in a hurry, stick the cake in the fridge or freezer to cool it fast.
Eggnog Pudding Fluff
- In a bowl combine the vanilla instant pudding mix and cold milk. Whisk for 2 minutes, until combined.Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix, 2 cups cold Eggnog
- Fold in half of the whipped topping, reserving the remaining half of whipped topping for the top of the trifle.16 oz Whipped Topping
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
White Chocolate Pudding
- In a bowl combine the white chocolate instant pudding mix and cold milk. Whisk for 2 minutes, until combined.White Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix, 2 cups cold milk
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembling the gingerbread trifle:
- Cover the bottom of the trifle dish with a layer of gingerbread cake cubes.
- Top with a layer of eggnog pudding fluff, and then a layer of white chocolate pudding.
- Repeat these two more times, then top with remaining whipped topping and gingerbread pieces.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- *If you use salted butter just omit the ½ teaspoon of salt from the recipe.
- *Unsulphered Molasses is what you are most likely to find at the store. It is sweeter and has no additives, compared to sulphured molasses.
- *You can substitute 3 teaspoon pie spice instead of the cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- *Check the cake at the 15-20 minute mark- if it seems to browning to much simply cover with foil and continue baking until done.
- *You can decorate the trifle with fresh or sugared cranberries and fresh rosemary too!