Cracker Candy is a holiday staple. This delicious sweet treat is easy to make and only needs a few ingredients!
What is Cracker Candy?
Cracker Candy goes by several different names. You might have heard of Christmas Crack or Saltine Cracker Toffee- these are all the same.
Cracker candy is a toffee dessert made with saltine crackers, butter, brown sugar, and chocolate. It has a wonderful sweet and salty flavor combo that is irresistible and always a favorite during the holidays.
Best Saltine Cracker Toffee?
This recipe is one my family makes every year and it’s on repeat for a reason! The sweet and salty combo is so good, plus it makes for a great gift.
Break this candy into pieces and share at any cookie exchange or wrap in little baggies as a fun stocking stuffer.
I love to whip up a batch of this Christmas Crack, along with some Gingerbread cookies (crinkle or men!), Grinch Cookies, and wreath cookies for a fun, and diverse plate of treats. Your family and friends will love this recipe and ask for it year after year!
What do you need for Cracker Candy?
Saltine Crackers: These crackers are the perfect crunchy salty base for this dessert!
Butter: I use unsalted since we get so much salt from the crackers. Melt this with the brown sugar for the toffee!
Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown both works. This melts with the butter to make a delicious toffee that you pour over the crackers!
Chocolate Chips: I love using semi-sweet which forms a tasty layer over the toffee, but you can experiment with other flavors too!
Optional Toppings: Peppermint Pieces, Toasted Pecans, Sprinkles- there are so many fun ways to customize this candy!
How to make Christmas Crack?
This recipe is super simple and very tasty. It comes together quickly and then just needs time to set before serving!
- Preheat oven and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then spray with cooking spray.
- Place saltines in a single layer in rows.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt better and brown sugar. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- After boiling, pour mixture over the saltines.
- Bake until the butter mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let the chocolate chips sit for 1-2 minutes then gently spread over the crackers.
- Top with nuts or sprinkles, then refrigerate until hardened
- Once hardened cut or break the candy into pieces and enjoy!
Pro Tip: If you want to add pecans, toast them first for extra flavor!
How do I spread the chocolate over the crackers?
The chocolate is ready to spread once it starts to look shiny and is softened from the heat of the baked cracker/toffee. Usually after 1-2 minutes it will be spreadable.
What temperature should the toffee get to?
Boiling the sugar/butter mixture for 3 minutes then baking with the crackers in the oven will bring the toffee to the correct temperature for this recipe.
Toffee for candy should reach between 270-290°F BUT this is not the type of toffee we use in this cracker candy. If you boil the butter sugar until it reaches that temperature it will be too hot, potentially separate and turn grainy.
How long does it take for cracker candy to harden?
The candy will harden after being refrigerated for 2 hours.
Cracker Candy Variations
Sprinkles: Add different colored sprinkles depending on the holiday.
Chocolate: Use candy melts of different colors instead of chocolate chips for fun color variations and to have a “chocolate” that won’t melt in your hands (aka tempered). Another tasty option is chopping up a chocolate orange and melting that over the crackers.
Nuts: Pecans are great but walnuts, or peanuts would be tasty too!
Candy: Add m&ms, different flavored candy canes, mini marshmallows, or crushed nonpareils on top.
Cookies: Crush oreos, graham crackers, or vanilla wafers for a fun topping.
Crackers: Use graham crackers or ritz instead of saltines for a fun swap!
Helpful Tips when Making Cracker Candy
Aluminum Foil: Line your baking tray with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. This will make clean up so much easier and help you get the candy out of the pan with ease!
Melting Chocolate: If your chocolate chips don’t melt because you forgot to add them in time don’t worry! Stick the toffee back in the oven for 1-2 minutes then spread the chocolate. Make sure not to leave the toffee in the oven or else it can burn the chocolate and cause it to clump up/seize.
Spreading the Chocolate: Be patient when spreading the chocolate. Gently and slowly spread the melted chocolate chips around the pan covering the toffee, if you go to fast or press to hard it can move the crackers around and cause a mess.
How to store cracker candy?
Store candy in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or 2 weeks if you refrigerate it.
Can you freeze Christmas Crack?
Yes! Make a batch ahead of time, let it cool, break it into pieces, then store in a freezer safe container/Ziploc baggie for up to 1 month. I recommend layering the pieces with parchment paper in-between so it doesn’t freeze in a huge clump, or flash freeze the candy then place in a Ziploc baggie.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check these other fun Christmas Treats:
Christmas Cracker Candy
- Cooking Spray- like Pam
- Rimmed Baking Sheet (10x15)
- 45 Saltine Crackers* (40-50 crackers)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 12 oz
- ½ cup chopped pecans optional
- Red and green sprinkles optional
- Crushed Peppermint Pieces optional
If using pecans:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Coarsely chop your pecans and place on the prepared baking sheet. Toast the pecans in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. They should be fragrant but not burned.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place saltines in even rows in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, over medium high heat, melt better and brown sugar. Whisk together, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and boil for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Should reach 270-290.
- After 3 minutes, pour butter sugar mixture over the saltines evenly.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the butter mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let the chocolate chips sit for 1-2 minutes then gently spread over the crackers. The chocolate is ready to spread once it starts to look shiny.
- Top with nuts or sprinkles, then refrigerate for 2 hours to harden.
- Once hardened cut or break the candy into pieces and enjoy!
- Can you use other crackers? Yes! Use Graham Crackers, Ritz, or any cracker you think is good!
- How to store cracker candy? Store candy in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or 2 weeks if you refrigerate it.
- Can you freeze Christmas Crack? Yes! Make a batch ahead of time, let it cool, break it into pieces, then store in a freezer safe container/Ziploc baggie for up to 1 month. I recommend layering the pieces with parchment paper in-between so it doesn’t freeze in a huge clump, or flash freeze the candy then place in a Ziploc baggie.