Chocolate Truffle Cake is an easy and delicious rich cake. With a creamy cheesecake like consistency and delicious amounts of chocolate this is your new favorite dessert!
This Valentines Day I wanted to share a few of my favorite recipes. I was recently introduced to this truffle cake recipe and knew I had to share it with you!
For more Valentine's Day Recipes check out:
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Truffles
- The BEST Valentines Sugar Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with a Dark Chocolate Buttercream
- Easy Chocolate Valentines Cookies
The original truffle cake recipe was double the ingredients (and size!) and used a different ganache on top. After changing a few things, I am so excited to share my version of this cake with you!
How to make chocolate truffle cake:
- Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan- then set aside to cool
- Whisk eggs, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt together, then stir in the cooled melted chocolate mixture
- Pour the chocolate batter into a greased 9 in springform pan and bake
Tips for baking truffle cake:
- This chocolate truffle cake is very similar in texture to a cheesecake and therefore I treated the baking of this dessert like I would a cheesecake.
- Move a rack to the center of the oven
- Bake cake at 350°F for 15 minutes then lower the temp to 250°F and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Cake is done when it is slightly domed and still a little jiggly.
- When cake is done baking, turn oven off, crack the door, and allow the cake to come to room temperature with the oven.
- Cake will initially be about half as tall as your springform pan but will deflate a bit as it cools- this is normal.
How to make truffle frosting:
The truffle frosting is actually my recipe for my homemade truffles! It’s so good I just had to use it on this cake.
- Bring heavy cream to a simmer
- Once simmering stir in chocolate, butter, and salt
- Once everything is melted and smooth remove from heat and stir in the vanilla
- Pour in to a small bowl to allow it to cool slightly and thicken before using to frost the cake
How to decorate the truffle cake:
- Once your cake is cooled completely and your frosting has thickened a bit, pour the chocolate ganache frosting and spread in an even layer on the cake
- Allow frosting to set up (I like to refrigerate until set), then using a little melted chocolate chips, affix some chopped chocolate, chocolate candies, and raspberries!
Chocolate Truffle Cake Tips
- This cake is best when eaten at room temperature- the flavor and texture is really enhanced
- Remove cake from refrigerator for 30-45 minutes before serving
- Refrigerate any leftover cake and eat within about 5 days
This chocolate truffle cake is one of the best desserts I’ve had in a long time. It’s easy to make and whoever you share it with will LOVE it.
For more tasty desserts don’t miss:
Watch how to make this recipe!
Chocolate Truffle Cake
Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 1 ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate broken into pieces or 1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbs butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan. Move one of the oven racks to the center of the oven.
- In a small saucepan melt chocolate and butter together over medium low heat, stirring until fully combined- then set aside to cool slightly* (1 ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips, 1 cup butter)
- In a different bowl whisk together sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, salt, and eggs (½ cup sugar, ½ cup heavy cream, 1 ½ tsp vanilla, pinch of salt, 4 large eggs)
- Once the melted chocolate/butter has cooled to being warm, mix into the sugar cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared spring form pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350°F then lower the oven temperature to 250°F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- When done baking the truffle cake will be slightly domed and come up to about half the heigh of the springform pan. It will be slightly jiggly. The very center of the cake will not have a dip (that indicated it’s not done baking). Once done baking turn the oven off with the door cracked, leave the cake in the oven allow it to come to room temperature with the oven. This prevents the top from cracking.
- Once at room temp the cake will have deflated by half (it’s fine I promise!), refrigerate the cake and make the truffle frosting.
- In a medium saucepan bring heavy cream to a simmer. (⅔ cup heavy cream)
- Then stir in the chocolate, butter, and salt. Stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. ( 8 oz semisweet chocolate, 1 tbs butter, pinch of salt)
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Then pour into a small bowl. (1 tsp vanilla)
- Allow the truffle frosting to cool for 10-20 minutes to thicken, then pour over the truffle cake. For decorating tips see notes below. *
- Refrigerate cake until frosting has set completely.
- This cake is best served at room temperature. Not only are the flavors so much more amazing but it’s much easier to cut. 30-45 minutes before serving remove from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Then serve and enjoy!
- *I used semi sweet baking chocolate for the truffles but you can use chocolate chips instead
- * You want the butter and chocolate mixture to cool slightly so it doesn’t cook the eggs when you mix those in.
- *If your mixture ends up having little white stringy bits that’s because the eggs cooked a little. Simply run your chocolate filling through a fine mesh strainer to remove them.
- *How to decorate: Allow the truffle frosting to set up partially and sprinkle on any chocolate pieces or sprinkles. Alternatively, you can allow the frosting to set up entirely and then pipe on a little melted chocolate chips (this is what I did), and then sprinkle with your decorations. If you are going to drizzle pretty white or dark chocolate lines using candy melts over the cake, I recommend allowing the frosting to harden completely.
- *Refrigerate any leftover cake and I recommended eating within 5 days.