Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze- everything delicious in one meal! So easy and so good! You will never want brussel sprouts any other way!
Recently I shared how to bake brussel sprouts (because they are sooooo good) and I just couldn’t help but want to share my favorite way to eat them- Maple Bacon Balsamic Brussel Sprouts!
Sweet, Savory, and So Freaking Delicious!
If there is ever just one veggie dish you need to try- it’s this one. You will want brussel sprouts with every meal hereafter- they are that good.
How to make roasted maple bacon brussel sprouts?
- Trim brussel sprouts and cut in half
- Toss in oil and then place on baking sheet
- Bake until nice and crispy
- While baking cook up your bacon and make the maple balsamic sauce
- Sautee your garlic and shallot (or onion if using) in the bacon grease.
- Once brussel sprouts are done baking, mix everything together.
How to trim brussel sprouts?
- Trim the bottom nub off- about ¼ of an inch
- Remove any loose leaves or yellow leaves
- Bake as is or cut in half (my preference) or quarters
Why do brussel sprouts turn mushy (and smelly?)?
This happens when you cook or bake the brussel sprouts for too long at too high of a heat.
So, if you do decide to bake the brussel sprouts at a higher temperature for more crispiness- don’t bake longer than 40 minutes.
Let’s talk bacon!
If you have some leftover bacon in your fridge (maybe from baking up a huge batch) simply chop it into pieces and set it aside. The warmth from the brussel sprouts will be enough to warm them up.
Alternatively, if I am cooking up some bacon just for this dish I like to chop it into small squares before cooking it. Just makes life a little easier.
What to eat brussel sprouts with?
- Apple Chutney Bacon Burger
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich (coming soon!)
- Hamburger Sliders
- Easy Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Chicken Tenders
For more brussel sprout variations check out my How to bake brussel sprouts post!
This is really a delicious and easy way to eat your veggies! Give them a try and let me know how you like them!
Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- 1 ½- 2 lbs Brussel sprouts
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- ½ lb bacon
- ½ large shallot diced (or ½ small white onion)
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 °F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- While oven is preheating cut off the ends of the Brussel sprouts and remove any loose or yellow leaves.
- Slice each sprout in half, toss in olive oil and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt, and pepper and bake for 35-40 minutes. You want the edges to be crisp and the inside tender.
- While sprouts are baking cook your bacon. For this dish I like to chop my bacon into pieces before cooking, but you can always just cook the bake and then crumble later. Once cooked remove from sauce pan and sauté the shallot and garlic in the bacon grease. (1/2 lb bacon, ½ shallot, 4 cloves of garlic)
- Then in a small saucepan combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup (1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup maple syrup) over low heat and allow it to reduce for about 10 minutes. This will help the mixture to become thicker.
- When the brussel sprouts are done baking combine them with the bacon and the syrup/balsamic in a large bowl- gently stirring to coat.
• Bake these for as long as you want- until you get your desired crispiness!
• Store any leftovers in an air tight container for a few days. They won’t be as crispy when you reheat them but they will still be tasty!
• If you want a thicker/sweeter glaze you can add 1-2 tbs brown sugar to the mixture as it’s reducing.
• Sautéing onion or shallots in with some of the bacon grease is also extra delicious!