This Rice Krispies Treats recipe is easy and even better than the original. With only a few adjustments you now have bakery style melt in your mouth rice crispy treats!
Rice Crispy Treats are one of my all-time favorite desserts. They are easy to make, delicious, and who doesn’t the crunch and gooey combo?!
One of my favorite places to get rice crispy treats is Disneyland, because they are gooey and huge and just taste so much better than the ones you make with the recipe on the back of the cereal box.
Well ladies and gents I think I’ve figured out the secret to making them and it is so simple.
The difference? A little more butter, marshmallow, and adding vanilla and salt.
PS make sure to check out how I turned these into Hearthstone inspired Kaboom Bots- how to below the recipe at the end of the post!
How to make rice krispie treats?
- Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter on low heat.
- Once melted remove stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Then add in part of the marshmallows and stir until fully melted.
- Once melted remove from heat and stir in cereal and remaining marshmallows.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Allow to cool and then enjoy!
Why do my rice crispy treats get hard and brittle?
This typically happens if you melt the marshmallows too fast over too high of heat.
For the best gooey marshmallow cereal bars, be patient and melt everything over low heat.
How long dies it take for Rice Crispy Treats to harden or set up?
Refrigerate for an hour and they should be cooled enough to cut!
Homemade rice crispy treats are easy to make and mouth watering delicious!
How long do rice crispy treats last?
If stored in an airtight container or baggie, they can be kept in the freezer for several weeks, otherwise try to eat them up within a few days (not like that will be hard!).
Do you need to refrigerate rice crispy treats?
Nope! You can leave them out until they are all gobbled up.
Are rice crispy treats gluten free?
Depends on the puffed rice you use. If you are sensitive to gluten make sure to get gluten free rice cereal from your local grocery store.
Can I make these in a 9x13 baking dish?
Yep! But if you want them thick you will want to double the recipe.
Can I add candy or chocolate chips to these rice crispy treats?
Absolutely! Just add in the extra candy or chocolate with the extra marshmallows at the end!
For more rice crispy type treats check out:
- S’mores Golden Graham Bars
- Trix Cereal Bars
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Bars (hubby’s fav!)
- Fruit Loop Marshmallow Bars
- Coco Puffs Cereal Bars
- Halloween Rice Crispy Treats (How to decorate them like mummies and Frankenstein!)
Watch how to make this recipe!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- 7 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal I used Rice Krispy brand
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray or butter, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium low heat. Once melted stir in the vanilla extract and salt. (4 tbs butter, ¼ teaspoon vanilla, ¼ teaspoon salt)
- Reduce heat to low and add in 5 cups of mini marshmallows. Stir until completely melted. (5 cups mini marshmallows)
- Once fully melted remove from heat and stir in puffed rice cereal and remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows. (6 cups cereal, 2 cups mini marshmallows)
- Press into prepared baking dish and allow to cool completely before cutting. If adding sprinkles, I recommend pressing them on top before the rice krispies cool.
• You can use a 9x13 baking dish but they will be thinner.
• If you want to use regular sized marshmallows use a 16 oz bag. Use ⅔rds of the bag for melting and mixing with the cereal, then chop up the remaining marshmallows and fold those in with the cereal so they stay as chunks of marshmallow.
• If using salted butter don’t add the salt
I used this recipe to make my Hearthstone inspired Kaboom Bot Treats!
If you want to make them simply add a little black food gel to the rice crispy treats, then shape them in to balls. I added some cotton string for the wicks and then piped on the eyes with colored frosting. So fun and so delicious!
If you are wondering what Hearthstone is you can read more about it here! For more Hearthstone recipes check out my full Hearthstone Menu!
Hearthstone Card Image from Gamepedia
©2014 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Hearthstone is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Blizzard Entertainment is a trademark or registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.
Thank you Hearthstone for some of the fun items given to me for my pictures!
Added a dash of cinnamon and buttered the bottom of the dish instead of oil. Made 2 batches with a layer of chocolate chips in between layers and turned out great! Thanks for the recipe😊
Yay!! I am so glad you enjoyed them!! And your additions sound delicious! I need to try them next!
Made them this past weekend. One word: Delicious!
Yay! So glad you loved them! Makes my day!
Thank you for posting pictures after each step! It is great that kids can follow and check if they do it right 🙂
I am so glad you like them and that it helps the kiddos!
Thank you for this Rice Krispies Treats recipe, I've been looking forward to your updates!
So glad you liked it!