An open-faced turkey sandwich with gravy is a delicious, hearty, comfort food that is a great way to use up your leftover turkey! All you need in bread, turkey, your favorite cheese, and some tasty gravy for this dinner staple.
Leftovers are one of the best meals. I might even love leftovers more than the original meal.
It’s less fuss, no one is worried about getting all the food cooked, and you can sit back, watch a show, enjoy delicious food and relax.
Here is a simple meal that has always been a favorite after the hecticness of the holidays. A hot turkey sandwich.
For more tasty recipes checkout:
What ingredients do you need?
Bread- any will do but I like to use a thick brioche or Texas toast if I have it
Turkey- use up your leftover turkey or use sliced deli turkey meat if you have that
Cheese- I love using brie for these sandwiches but you can use any cheese of your liking. Provolone, jack, or mozzarella would be tasty but also a gouda would be amazing.
Gravy- whip up a batch of my homemade gravy without drippings in less than 5 minutes- you will want to pour I on everything!
Sometimes a hot turkey open faced sandwich is piled high with all the leftovers- including green bean casserole, stuffing, turkey, and cheese.
Other times it’s simply bread, meat, cheese, and a hearty helping of gravy.
This time though I wanted to share a little bit fancier version- it includes one of my favorite cheeses: Brie.
Brie is a delicious cheese when you bake it and slather it in honey or when cut up and placed in a tasty salad along with prosciutto and roasted peppers. It’s also delicious on sandwiches.
If you don’t have brie don’t worry- a tasty provolone or jack will also work well for this sandwich and is more of a traditional route. But if you have some Brie then get ready to have your tastebuds light up!
How to make an open-faced turkey sandwich with gravy:
- Toast your bread. I like to do this in the oven with it set to broil. Just be careful to watch the bread carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Once toasted assemble your sandwiches with turkey and cheese, then broil again until the cheese is melted.
- Then pour warm gravy over both halves and enjoy!
Don’t want to use the oven for open faced sandwich?
If you don’t want to use the oven simply toast your bread in a toaster. Then assemble your sandwich, add the gravy and microwave until everything is heated through.
This might be slightly soggy but still delicious.
What is the meaning of open-faced sandwich?
An open sandwich is a piece of pried topped with different foods and usually a sauce.
What sides go with hot turkey sandwiches?
Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Stuffing, or even a tasty salad!
How do you eat an open-faced sandwich?
I like to just use a fork and knife to ean an open-faced sandwich.
Do you love leftovers as much as I do? Let me know in the comments below!
Don't miss my latest posts:
- Herb Butter Turkey Recipe
- Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
- Open Faced Turkey Sandwich with Gravy
- How to make gravy without drippings- Easy Homemade Gravy Recipe
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Watch how to make this recipe!
Open Faced Turkey Sandwich with Gravy
- 2 slices of bread
- 4 large slices of turkey
- 2 oz cheese brie or provolone
- Preheat your oven to broil on high and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your bread on the prepared baking sheet and broil until toasted. 1-2 minutes per side. Watch the bread carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Once toasted, top with turkey and cheese and return to the oven. Broil until cheese is melted, another 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully so your cheese doesn’t burn.
- Remove from oven and top with warm gravy and sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley. Enjoy!
- I can’t say this enough- watch the food when you are broiling it. It can go from tasted to burned in seconds.
- I highly recommend my easy gravy recipe if you need to whip up a quick batch.