These zucchini appetizers are easy to make, flavorful, and the perfect way to start a meal! With just a few simple ingredients you can make these tasty treats!
This zucchini recipe is a healthy recipe inspired by one of my favorite restaurants in the DC area called Burtons. With loads of flavor this simple, hot dish, is something I get every time we go!
Since we are no longer in the DC area I knew I had to recreate this dish at home.
- Herb Cheese
- Spaghetti Sauce (I love using my pasta sauce recipe)
- Parmesan Cheese - You can use sliced or shredded- both are delicious but give different looks to the dish
How to make zucchini appetizers:
- Slice your zucchini into thin flat strips
- Add herb cheese and roll up
- Top with your favorite tomato sauce and sprinkle with parmesan
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
Slicing Zucchini: To get even slices I recommend using a mandolin if you have one. Just be careful because they are sharp! (amazon affiliate link)
Rolling Zucchini: If you slice your zucchini to thick it won't stay rolled. If that happens I recommend laying the slices flat, and making a lasagna type dish instead (with the zucchini used instead of noodles!).
Can you make zucchini lasagna instead?
This can easily be made into zucchini lasagna as well! Instead of rolling up the zucchini strips, lay them flat, spread the cheese over them and then put another layer of zucchini on top.
Repeat until out of ingredients! Top with your tomato sauce and parmesan, then bake.
Super simple and still delicious!
We never have leftovers when we make this. Give them a try and let me know how you like them!
If you enjoyed this recipe check out my easy pasta salad, bacon brussel sprouts, and these tasty pecan pie brownies!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Stuffed Zucchini Appetizers
- 1 large zucchini sliced in long strips ⅛ inch thick
- 6.5 oz herb cheese*
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Slice zucchini into thin strips (think 1/16th in). I used a mandolin to do this. If you cut it by hand the strips might not be as thin and you might need more zucchini, but it will still be delicious!1 large zucchini sliced in long strips
- Layout the zucchini strips and place a spoonful of herb cheese on one end. Then roll up and place in your baking dish.6.5 oz herb cheese*
- After all the zucchini slices have been rolled, top each one with a generous spoonful of spaghetti sauce.1 cup spaghetti sauce
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over entire dish.1 cup parmesan cheese
- Bake for 15-20* minutes
- *I used the Alouette Garlic and Herb Soft Spreadable Cheese for this recipe. It was located near the deli section of my grocery store where all the fancy cheese are kept.
- *My husband and I like these a little crunchy so I bake them for only 15 minutes. If you want a softer more noodle type texture cook longer. Depending on how thick your slices are you will need to adjust cook time accordingly.
Post updated 9/27/2022
These look so yummy and easy. A great snack for after work!
Thank you! Yes, these would make a great snack!
I just had these with my girl friends at Burton's and they are delicious! Thanks for sharing. Going to make them tonight with red pepper flakes as Burton's has a nice kick to theirs!
YES! I am so glad you love them too! Red pepper flakes sound amazing! What a great idea!