Orange Buttermilk Scones- easy to make and bursting with fresh orange flavor and delicious chocolate chips. These buttermilk scones are THE BEST hands down!
These orange chocolate chip buttermilk scones are amazing! They are delicious and they are easy to make perfect for breakfast or anytime really!- WIN!
Originally I was just going to come up with a basic buttermilk scone recipe but then I got to thinking chocolate chips would be really good in these- especially those mini ones.
Then I had a beautiful orange on hand and realized orange and chocolate are a delicious combo.
These orange scones are seriously so addicting.
How to make buttermilk scones?
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Cut in the butter so the dry ingredients become a sandy texture.
- Add in your orange zest.
- Stir in the buttermilk and orange extract.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into three balls, then flatten into 5 inch circles and cut into wedges.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, brush with additional buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, drizzle with orange glaze, extra zest, and enjoy!
Do I have to cut the scones into wedges?
No! You can make these into any shape you want! Cut them into circles, rectangles, squares- anything! I just like the look of the wedges.
Tips for making the best scones:
- Don’t over mix the dough- once it is combined it’s read- expect it to be a little lumpy!
- Keep the dough cold- you don’t want the butter to melt before you bake them
Can you freeze scones?
If you want to make these ahead of time I recommend freezing the dough after you cut it into the shape you want it. Freeze the wedges (or whatever shape) on a parchment lined baking sheet then transfer to a ziploc bag once frozen.
When ready to bake pop them in the freezer but you will need to bake them a few minutes longer.
I’ve made these several times and had a few extra that I popped in the fridge and snacked on over the next few days and you know what? They tasted just as good!
Some people say you have to make these right before you eat them- but I love these fresh or a few days after baking! This is seriously an easy scone recipe!
Buttermilk Scones Recipe- you will want to make this over an over again!
Orange Buttermilk Scones
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cold butter cubed
- orange zest from one orange
- 1 cup buttermilk plus more for brushing on top
- 2 tsp orange extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tbs milk
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Preheat oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. (3 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt)
- Cut in the butter by using a pastry cutter, a fork or your hands (the easiest and what I do!) The flour mixture should look sandy once the butter is cut in. (3/4 cup butter)
- Stir in the orange zest.
- Mix in the buttermilk and orange extract until combined- but don’t over mix (1 cup buttermilk, 2 tsp orange extract)
- Add chocolate chips to dough and mix until evenly distributed. (1/2 cup mini chocolate chips)
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out. Separate the dough into three balls, flatten each ball until they are about 5 inches in diameter, then cut into four wedges.
- Place scones on the lined baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with buttermilk and sprinkle a little sugar on each one.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and orange extract to make the glaze. You can add more or less powdered sugar or milk to get the thickness you prefer. (1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 ½ tbs milk, 1 tsp orange extract)
- When the scones are done baking, drizzle with the glaze and sprinkle with any extra orange zest.