This Heart Cake is easy to make and super fun for Valentine’s Day! Strawberry Cake with vanilla buttercream just got cuter with this heart shaped cake!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
For Valentine’s Day this year I wanted to make a fun heart shaped cake that was no fuss and anyone could do.
Since I wasn’t worried about smooth sides and perfection you actually need less frosting and way less stress. Using only one layer of frosting instead of two (1 for a crumb coat and 1 for a final coat) you get a fun rustic cake that is tasty too!
Things you need for this recipe:
Wilton Heart Cake Pan- if you don’t have this or don’t want to buy it, I will show you how to make a heart without it below
Favorite Box of Cake Mix- If you prefer a recipe from scratch check out this tasty chocolate cake- just halve the recipe
Extra Ingredients for the Box Cake: Vegetable Oil, Vanilla, Sour Cream, Heavy Cream, Large Eggs
Vanilla Buttercream- Unsalted Butter, Powdered Sugar, Vanilla, Heavy Cream, Salt
How to make a heart cake?
- Mix up your cake batter, then pour into a prepared heart shaped pan.
- Bake until done- cover with foil if it starts to brown
- While cake is cooling whip up your butter cream.
- Dye ~½ cup of frosting pink- set aside
- Cut cake in half to make two layers, then add frosting in between the two layers and frost the top
- Pipe on a heart with the pink frosting, then add sprinkles
How to cut cake in half evenly?
- I like measure (yes with a real ruler) halfway up the side of the cake and then stick a tooth pick in.
- Repeat this all around the cake.
- Take a knife and slice along the toothpicks.
- Alternatively, you could use a cake leveler.
How to make a heart shape without a heart pan?
You will need a square cake pan and a round cake pan- both the same diameter (ie both 8inch)
Divide batter between the two pans, bake and allow to cool.
Cut the round cake in half and place on the diagonal diamond of the square, like in the image below.
You can cut each piece in half, height wise, to make a two-layer cake.
Stick everything together with lots of frosting. You will probably need to make at least an extra half batch of frosting.
I recently shared my heart shaped chocolate chip cookies that were so cute and I knew I had to make a heart shaped cake to match!
This is a fun no stress Valentines Cake that is super cute and easy to make. Use any combo of cake, frosting, and sprinkles to suit your needs!
Watch how to make this recipe!
- 1 box of cake mix*
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 5 tbs heavy cream + more if needed
- Pinch of Salt
- Pink food coloring I like to use gel
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease pan with baker’s spray.
- Combine the cake mix, vegetable oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream, and eggs in a large bowl.1 box of cake mix*, ½ cup vegetable oil, 2 tbs vanilla, ¾ cup sour cream, ¾ cup heavy cream, 4 large eggs
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Pour into prepared heart shaped pan* and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the cake starts to brown cover with foil and finish baking.
- Allow cake to cool before removing from pan. To remove just flip the cake over and allow gravity to help it come out.
- While cake is cooling make frosting.
- Cream butter using a stand mixer.1 cup butter
- Mix in vanilla, then add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream 1 tbs at a time. If the frosting is too stiff add a little heavier cream (~1 tbs at a time), if it’s to lose add a little more powdered sugar (~¼ cup at a time). Stir in salt.5 cups powdered sugar, 1 tbs vanilla, 5 tbs heavy cream + more if needed, Pinch of Salt
- Remove ~½ cup frosting, add pink food coloring* and stir until fully incorporated.Pink food coloring
- Cut the cake in half to create two layers.
- Spread a nice layer of vanilla butter cream on the first half, then stack the second layer on top.
- Spread the remaining white buttercream over the cake.
- Place pink frosting in a baggie with the corner cut off, or a piping bag, and draw a heart on top of the cake. Sprinkle top of cake with sprinkles.Sprinkles*
- *If you don't have a heart pan see how to make a heart in the post above.
- *I used strawberry cake mix for this but you can use any flavor, or even make one from scratch (here is my chocolate cake- just halve the recipe)!
- *I used White Sanding Sugar and Valentine Heart Sprinkles
- * This is my doctored cake box recipe which makes the boxed mix taste homemade however if you don’t have sour cream and heavy cream simply follow the recipe on the back of the box and bake accordingly.
- * This recipe makes just enough to frost the cake with one layer of frosting- no crumb coat. If you want a smoother finish with a crumb coat you will need to double the frosting amount.
- *You can also add a drop or two of strawberry flavoring to the pink frosting if you would like a fun extra flavor.