Tri Tip Rub
The Tri Tip Rub it’s flavorful, easy, and makes some of the best meat you will ever eat.
Santa Maria Seasoning
- 2 Tbs paprika
- 1 tbs chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
Mix all the seasoning in a small bowl.
2 Tbs paprika, 1 tbs chile powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tbs brown sugar, 1 tbs sugar, 1 tbs garlic powder, 1 tbs onion powder, 1 tbs salt, 2 teaspoon pepper
Rub seasoning all over the tri tip.
2-3 lb Tri Tip
Preheat oven to 350°F and bake tri tip in an oven safe baking dish for ~25-40 minutes. I prefer to go off internal temperature so I remove the tri tip from the oven when it reaches 135-140°F.
Cut tri tip and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- *You can mix and add the rub to the tri tip the day before, refrigerate overnight and then pull out the tri tip an hour before cooking.
- If smoking the tri tip heat smoker to 200-220°F. Smoke tri tip until the internal temp reaches 135-140°F (1.5-2 hrs approximately) then remove from smoker and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- If grilling the tri tip preheat the grill on medium heat then grill for 10 minutes on one side and flip and grill until the internal temp is 135-140°F- about 15 more minutes.
- My favorite smoker thermometer that I use for baking too: Thermoworks Smoker Thermometer (affiliate link)
- Different size tri tips will cook at different speeds because of their size and how hot the grill/smoker is.
- If your tri tip has a layer of fat you can trim it off but you don’t need to. The extra fat can help baste the meat when cookie- simply place in the oven with the fat end up.
- Everyone says cut against the grain of the meat for the juiciest meat- and I usually try to. However, if cooked correctly the meat will be delicious, tender, and juicy regardless how you cut it.
- To make this more Santa Maria Style add 1 tbs of dried rosemary to the rub!
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 1269mg | Potassium: 610mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1687IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg