Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe, these mashed potatoes come together in no time, are rich and delicious, and perfect for any holiday dinner! Make these up to three day before you need them!
Course Side Dish
Prep Time 45 minutes minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes minutes
Total Time 1 hour hour 30 minutes minutes
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 package cream cheese 8 oz, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup butter plus extra for buttering the dish
Rinse and peel the potatoes. (5 lbs russet potatoes)
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cover. Boil for ~40 minutes or tender when pierced with a fork.
Drain potatoes and then mash.
In the bowl of an electric mixer combine cream cheese and sour cream (1 package cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream)
Once combined add in the mashed potatoes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined. (1 tbs garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper)
Butter a 9x13 baking dish then place mashed potato mixture in it.
Cut butter into small cubes then spread out over the mashed potatoes.
Cover with foil and either refrigerate up to three days or bake.
When baking: Bake at 400°F for 45-55 minutes* or until heated throughout.
Tips and Tricks
- Make-ahead: If making these potatoes several days before and refrigerating them, allow them to come to room temperature before baking.
- Heating: Check the center of the potatoes starting around the 35-minute mark to see if heated through.
- Leftovers: Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or the oven.
- Serve these with my Homemade No Drippings Gravy!
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 661mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 193IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg